I surrender to the Borg.... - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:43 AM   #21
Beyond GenetiX
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Yeah, that does bring up a question. How much are the apps offered at the Play Store vetted to prevent exploits? And no, I'm not inclined to just load stuff in helter skelter from basically anonymous sources.

Which brings up another question. What are the major security holes in these devices? I do not intend to do much in the way of internet browsing with it. But do firewalls need to be installed on them to protect against direct intrusions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangthane View Post
In all honesty, the security aspects of Android are well above my pay grade, so take this entire post as nothing more than anecdotal opinions. In the decade or so that I've been using Android, I've yet to have a single virus-type issue with any phone, and I've had a pretty cavalier attitude about just trying things and seeing what happens. Samsung does use a security platform called Knox, which seems to be pretty highly rated.

Here's a for instance regarding Knox: when I rooted my S7, it required flashing a custom "engineering" bootloader to the phone which would set the stage for even allowing me to subsequently flash the actual program that gives root access. After changing bootloaders, it would give an impossible-to-miss security notification every time it boots up. The flashing software I use is called Odin, which, I think, is basically what Samsung uses to load firmware at the factory. Without Odin (or installing a custom recovery), I doubt it'd be a remotely simple matter to even make such significant and potentially dangerous changes to the modern Samsung flagship devices.

If you look hard enough, I'm sure you could possibly dig up someone who's actually had some sort of infection on their phone, but in all my years of nonchalantly taking chances, I've never really had any problems that didn't stem from simply not sweating the minutiae of whatever I was trying to do. IMO, if you're never intending to get into the modding scene, you probably don't really have much to worry about.

The Android wizards at the XDA-Developers website I linked you to would be able to give much more knowledgeable answers about these advanced subjects than I could ever hope to. If you find yourself with some time to kill, it may be worth browsing the non device-specific sections of the website and looking into general Android security.

Addendum: I think that the main "security" complaints/concerns probably stem from app permissions. When you install an app, it'll show you a list of all of its required permissions - everything that it can directly access. Like, if you're trying to install a stupid little calculator app, it may be a bit fishy if it requires access to your GPS location and contacts list. With anything Google, I suspect that there's some degree of collecting/selling certain data for advertising purposes and such. Although I never give them a second thought, you may want to make it a point to keep an eye on what any given app needs to access.
+1 for XDA developers
+1 for rooting
Not real crazy about TouchWiz either.

I am/was a bit of a rom (read only memory) junkie, at one point in time I was flashing a different rom twice a week. I have never seen any type of virus on any of my devices, however I have had to fix two devices that picked up ransom wear. Both people admitted that they downloaded an attachment off of a website (xxx). The attachment was an app disguised as a picture attachment. This is where safe mode can be useful, especially if you don't have a pc to do diagnostics with.

CyanogenMod (no longer exists) was my favorite daily rom, great on battery life. LineageOS is basically the new CyanogenMod.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #22
WebSlave
Well, you guys are WAY beyond me with that rooting stuff. I'm still trying to figure out the basic stuff.

Today Connie and I took the bikes out and rode the St. Marks bike trail. Luckily the new case I ordered for the S8+ came in this morning, and it had a belt clip so I was able to bring along the phone for a test run to see if it would fall off or not. So I promptly forgot I was even carrying it, so it's not like it was uncomfortable or anything. Matter of fact, we were on the section of the trail that had a lot of standing water on both sides, and I nearly ran over a small cottonmouth laying on the asphalt. So as I rode further along the trail, I was thinking that it was too bad I didn't have one of my cameras with me. Well DUH!! Then I remembered that I DID have a camera with me! But I didn't turn back, because another biker heading the other direction has just passed us, so I imagined the cottonmouth was long gone by then.

So when we got down to the end of the trail, we always head down to the boat launch area to walk out onto the little covered pavilion they have there. Some sort of small heron was looking for food along the water's edge, so I decided to try out the camera then. I also tried out the video capabilities, but unfortunately only had it set for 1080 and not 4K. I also had trouble figuring out the zoom function and somehow along the way the camera got itself set to take a "selfie". I didn't figure out how to switch that to the back camera till later, so that ended the video/photography session.

Anyway, I just uploaded the video raw to YouTube to see how it would look. I guess it's not too bad for something from a phone....

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=xvU-zKISdhk

And the photographs didn't look to bad neither. So I'm guessing this thing will do in a pinch when I don't have one of the lug along cameras with me.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #23
Fangthane
I doubt smartphones will ever come close to replacing your DSLR, but they've gotten pretty damn good at capturing acceptable snapshots in a pinch. If you're not expecting miracles out of the phone, one fairly unobtrusive device can replace several others. Camera, computer, GPS navigation device, multimedia entertainment - hell, it's even got a built-in pedometer and pulse monitor for the health fanatics.

Radio reception is spotty in my area , and most of the stations around here are wholly uninteresting to me anyway, so I just stream podcasts or Pandora Radio through my car's Bluetooth-enabled head unit when I'm out putting around. That also comes in handy when I'm using GPS, making it impossible to miss the voice prompts.

Once you get past the idea of being part of "The Collective," I think you'll find that you made a good choice in giving smartphones a shot.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #24
WebSlave
Well, I feel like I am getting there.

But these things sure seem to bring out the "neat-freakiness" in me. I really hate seeing fingerprints on the screen. And using it for a phone with my face pressed up against it just makes things even worse. And yeah, I do have a clear screen guard on the phone. But that doesn't look any better with smudges and fingerprints on it. So I have a microfiber cloth here and I seem to be cleaning it constantly. One thing I did learn, was that it is best to not try to vigorously rub a cloth across the screen while the phone is on. All KINDS of things start happening then when apps get triggered......

Old 08-06-2017, 11:42 PM   #25
Fangthane
I'm anal enough about fingerprints that I probably wipe my screen off 20 times a day. Once the shiny-new-thing aspect begins to fade away, you'll probably find yourself being content to just wipe it on your shirt like I've come to do.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:34 AM   #26
WebSlave
Yeah, Connie has already told me that she isn't loaning out her phone to anyone. She just doesn't want their finger prints and face smudges all over HER phone. Not sure how keen I would be on that idea myself, come to think of it. Guess we have a touch of germ-o-phobia here.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:14 PM   #27
WebSlave
Well, had another interesting piece of evidence today about the inroads the Borg is making on society. I've been fiddling around with a wireless security camera setup I bought, and one of the advertised features is that I could load up a program on my laptop (and an app on the smart phone too) that would allow me to monitor the cameras in real time while I am away. So I'm setting this stuff all up and got it somewhat working. As an aside, their advertised range is way, WAY overly optimistic, so it will likely go back anyway. One of the wrinkles I was wrestling with was to get the program to run on my laptop. It was basically in an infinite loop saying that the driver was out of date, no matter how many times I reloaded the latest one they had. So I contacted them about it. Come to find out that they are completely dropping all support for laptop and PC browsers and only planning on offering a mobile app.

So yeah, another sign, I think, of things to come. Are laptops and PCs eventually going to become obsolete? Or perhaps downgraded to such an extent that they will have to run mobile apps or nothing? Android for PCs?

Oh, one interesting thing I was doing with my smartphone yesterday while playing around with that video camera setup was to use it as a Wifi analyzer. It never did log any signals related to the security cameras, but it was interesting walking around the yard monitoring the various signals my router and the repeaters are putting out. Darn shame this camera kit doesn't just tie into an existing Wifi network, because I probably could have gotten it to do what I wanted it to do that way. As it is, the best they will do for me is to have them mounted on my porch. The DVR is located in my den, which is a necessity because it requires an ethernet connection to my network. You would think they would at least have a wireless connection from the DVR to my network, wouldn't you?

Anyway, this thing is called the Defender HD Wireless. As I told the manufacturer, it's really not ready for prime time. It would work OK as a baby monitor, or something that didn't require the cameras to be any further than 25 feet away with walls inbetween. But as an outdoor security monitoring solution? Nope. Luckily I bought it from Home Depot, and they have an excellent return policy. Matter of fact, if any of you aren't aware of this, if you get their own credit card, anything you buy using that card gets you a 1 year return guarantee. That in itself is a great perk. Just too much junk being sold these days that it just might take you a year before it breaks or you figure out it's just not all that it was cracked up to be. I've been buying some battery powered gardening tools, so if those batteries crap out in less than a year, I can box it back up, and take it back for a full refund.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:09 PM   #28
Fangthane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webslave
Android for PCs?
That's been available for at least the past several years. For s and giggles, I once installed Android on a crummy Windows netbook, probably 3 years ago. I'm thinking it was fairly clunky, but still kinda nifty nonetheless. I never bothered to try it again, but I have to assume functionality has gotten at least somewhat better since then. If you want to give it a shot with your security system before returning it, you could start here:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.andro...pc-668643/amp/

Old 09-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #29
WebSlave
Well, I guess the novelty wore off. I haven't even turned the phone on for two weeks now.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:41 AM   #30
LauraB
LOL ... sadly, I am not surprised. My smart phone is a phone. I talk, I text. Beyond that, I don't do much else, even with all the bells, whistles, gadgets and uh, other crap to track me and my activity, lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!