Sealing or covering flexwatt - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
mxracer4life
Sealing or covering flexwatt

I have seen a lot of forums for hooking up flexwatt or placement, but none on how to cover or seal them. I have this fear of a water bowl getting tipped over and shorting out my system. I have a custoemr built wooden cage, made out of 3/4'' wood, stained and sealed. Right now I have lenolium covering the bottom of the cage, with the flexwatt underneath that. This method has been working but its a pain to remove the lenolium and make any adjustments or repairs to the flexwatt. Can someone give me a few ideas on how to use flexwatt for a wooden cage? I don't have a router, otherwise I would cut out a spot for the flex and cover it with plexiglass. Any ideas would be great! Thanks!

Jeremy

Old 11-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Shadera
On my homemade racks I covered it with the aluminum tape they use on home ductwork. Protected it from sliding tubs and held it in place.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
mxracer4life
But what can I cover it with when the flex is IN the cage with the snake? Will the aluminum tape hold to where they cannot work it free and get tangled with it?

Old 11-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
mxracer4life
Someone gave me the idea of using 1/8'' plexi to cover flex, then sylicone around it. Would I need to drill a couple holes UNDER the flex so it has some circulation under there?

Old 11-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
suzuki4life
easiest way to avoid issue which I am sure you will not like...cut a hole in the floor where you want the flexwatt to be....install a glass or plexi "floor" in the place of the hole...place the flexwatt under the floor window thus allowing heat to pass into the cage AND allowing the flewatt to be safe from water.

You can seal flexwatt with electricians paste...its like liquid electrical tape...but I wouldn't submerge flexwatt in water even if sealed.

What are you housing in your wood cage?

Old 11-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
mxracer4life
Thats not a bad idea. So I take it that just placing the flex on the bottom of the enclosure then covering it with plexi won't work? What if I drilled holes under the flex?

Old 11-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
suzuki4life
totally "encapsuling" the flexwatt would be a fire hazard....

no clue on how venting would work...might or might not.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
mxracer4life
Thats how I am going to do it. Its the best method I think that will be simple and effective.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki4life View Post
totally "encapsuling" the flexwatt would be a fire hazard....

no clue on how venting would work...might or might not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
Thats how I am going to do it. Its the best method I think that will be simple and effective.
I've covered heat tape with ceramic tiles before with no problems. I used 2' of 11" flexwatt lay the ceramic tiles on top with beads of silicone under the edges. Then put the probe for your thermostat in plastic sandwich bag and place it in between the two tiles. Then run caulk around the edges of the tiles and seal it all together. Worked like a champ.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #10
suzuki4life
Ask Triplemoon if she has pictures of her flexwatt near miss.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!