i need advice. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
The Python Lab
i need advice.

i have 3 males, a pastel, a cinnamon, and an albino. up till now i was currently breeding all 3 to 4 normal females. i spoke to someone who i have purchased snakes from and they were saying i should not breed my co doms to the same snakes as i am breeding my recessive. my thinking was, if the clutch comes out normal then obviously the sire would have to be the albino. and if the sire was the cinnamon or the pastel a portion of the clutch would look accordingly. he seemed so busy trying to get his point across i am not sure he was hearing what i was attempting to say and just gave up. am i missing something? is my line of thinking off? any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
hhmoore
It has been said that more than one male can sire a clutch; so putting both recessive and codom males to the same female means you can't say if any of the babies are heterozygous for the recessive trait.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by edenspets View Post
i have 3 males, a pastel, a cinnamon, and an albino. up till now i was currently breeding all 3 to 4 normal females. i spoke to someone who i have purchased snakes from and they were saying i should not breed my co doms to the same snakes as i am breeding my recessive. my thinking was, if the clutch comes out normal then obviously the sire would have to be the albino. and if the sire was the cinnamon or the pastel a portion of the clutch would look accordingly. he seemed so busy trying to get his point across i am not sure he was hearing what i was attempting to say and just gave up. am i missing something? is my line of thinking off? any help would be appreciated. thanks.

If I am understanding HIS point correctly..there would be a chance of normals too if you bred one female to a recessive AND a co-dom. In this case of breeding one Normal to a Recessive and a Co-dom, you actually would not be 100% sure which was the sire. In other words, you would have no way of knowing which were the Hets and which were the Normals because it could be a split clutch.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
hhmoore
Ahahahahahahaha, youth, and faster fingers WINS
(The fact that you posted twice doesn't count)

Old 11-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Ahahahahahahaha, youth, and faster fingers WINS
(The fact that you posted twice doesn't count)
That's ok...time waits for no man.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by edenspets View Post
If you breed a codom to a normal you can produce all normals. So if you breed the codoms and a recessive to a normal female, you have no way to tell if the normal looking babies were parented from the recessive male or the codom male.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!