Roach legality? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 07-22-2004, 09:31 PM   #1
progeckos
Roach legality?

Is there a government web site that has what states it’s illegal to keep roaches in? I may be selling some roaches soon so I would like to know. I know there illegal in Florida but I’m not sure about the rest of the states. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2004, 09:59 PM   #2
robin d.
i do not know however there is ONE thing i do know... the roaches that are smoked ARE illegal everywhere (cept for medicinal purposes)

Old 07-22-2004, 10:21 PM   #3
progeckos
LOL. Now I know why you got roaches. You have an excuse though.

Old 08-19-2004, 01:23 PM   #4
Xavier
Its illegal to own roaches in Florida? I fnd it hard to beleive roaches aren't used as feeders in that whole state.

Old 08-19-2004, 01:30 PM   #5
progeckos
Roaches are illegal to keep in Florida. I think a lot of people probably have them without anyone knowing though.

Old 08-19-2004, 02:21 PM   #6
Xavier
amazing I bet I can find stores selling them thereLOL

Old 08-19-2004, 04:01 PM   #7
cricket
Free roachs in FL

Just turn onto any side street, stop at the first mobile home and look under any rock.....

Old 08-19-2004, 05:29 PM   #8
progeckos
Quote:
Just turn onto any side street, stop at the first mobile home and look under any rock.....
LOL. That’s very true.

Old 08-20-2004, 12:24 AM   #9
Clay Davenport
I've wondered about this myself, since I do raise roaches commercially, but to my knowledge there isn't any general clearinghouse of information that lists such things state by state.
As I understand it, hissing roaches are specifically banned in Florida, and other roaches are banned generally. There is a permit available from the state to keep them.
For this reason I simply do not ship roaches to Florida at all. You never know when someone may be trying to set you up to commit a violation.

As for the other states, I don't know what's illegal. It would probably be safe to assume that only the southern most states would be inclined to have such regulations, since none of the feeder roaches can possibly survive in the majority of the country.
I would almost guarantee they would be banned in HI, but anything that might eat them is already banned there as well, so customers from that state would be exceedingly rare.
The other state I wonder most about is California, but so far I haven't found anything about the legality there.
I was told by the manager of a local pet store that hissers were illegal here in NC, but I haven't been able to locate any regulations to substantiate that. The NC regs are confusingly written to say the least and getting specific information is not an easy task.

For the present, I ship roaches to any of the lower 48 states with the exception of Florida. I won't knowingly violate the law, and if I find them to be illegal in other states I will discontinue sales there as well, but until then I'll continue shipping to the rest of the country.

Old 08-20-2004, 12:40 PM   #10
progeckos
Thanks for the info Clay. I guess I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!