Bob Clark (Industry and community irresponsibility?) INQUIRY - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #91
ViperPaintball
(edit)

So, no, my opinion has not changed. I also feel, as do the mods and owners of this site, that I posted correctly. What I have found, in PM and on the forum, is that, while Bob has made some mistakes, this is new ground he has broken with regard to screwing up.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #92
kmurphy
Quote:
ad?
As is spelled with an S not a D.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #93
ViperPaintball
Thanks Captain Typeo, but I already caught it.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #94
PoohMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgolli
Seamus, I can tell you one thing about personal character, I'd rather be sued by Jack Hanna for not meeting my obligation to "preform" on a show rather than portraying reptile enthusiast as irresponsible, reckless individuals who put others in harms way.

Venomoid or not that snake hit the floor in both shows. What was bobs role in the planning stages????? Who knows, but he knew what the game plan was before he walked on stage, it was his employees animal. After the fox and friends show, he saw Brian bring the animal to far out and saw what happened, HE then lost control of it on Letterman's show by again bringing it out to far.

It would have taken a gun on my son's head to force me out on stage a second time to not smack Jack and tell him the way it was going to play out.

We have all been placed in positions of lets call it peer pressure. Jack Hanna, Letterman, Millions of viewers, true character shows itself by the decisions we make while under pressure. Bob failed, plain and simple. He failed the keepers of thousands of customers he's sold snakes to as he only potentially aided additional legislation, he failed the industry that has supplied him his lively hood for the fast majority of his life.

The NARBC Show in Arlington TX is coming up in a few weeks. Bob will be there, you will be there with my friend Michael Cole, so I guess we can get his side of the story and give him chance to explain Why?

Michael Castillo

Old 02-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #95
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperPaintball

And I don’t think he should have broadcast that it was a venomoid (this is how it’s spelled by the way…not venemoid). I don’t think the general public needs to even know venomoids exist, as they would view them as “hots with training wheels” and all the Billy-Bob’s would want one to pass around at their next NASCAR get together at their trailer-house.

I think Bob should have treated it like a responsible herper does with ALL hots, with respect and caution.

Good Point. one that i 100% agree with.

Would one point a gun at someone with the chamber closed? How do you KNOW that gun dosnt have a bullet?
Always, dosnt matter what you think... ( and i dont even KEEP guns! and i know this), treat a gun as if it were loaded. Why not the same with hots?

I personally consider them both on the same level in a way. Potentially deadly in the wrong hands, sometimes even the right hands. They should always. no matter what. be treated with the respect they so deserve.

it WAS irresponsible no matter what reason there is for it. not the money, not the fame, i dont really care what reason there was for it. to me. It dosnt matter if he KNEW it couldn't kill anyone... all it takes is one dumb mistake.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #96
The BoidSmith
Sorry Pam, I failed to see your signature.

Quote:
It WAS irresponsible no matter what reason there is for it. not the money, not the fame, i dont really care what reason there was for it. to me. It dosnt matter if he KNEW it couldn't kill anyone... all it takes is one dumb mistake.
Irresponsible, dumb mistake, reprehensible, etc. With all those adjectives I happen to agree. Maybe my interpretion of unethical behavior is different. We usually associate ethics with a profession. An ethical individual will also be:

—Synonyms 2. moral, upright, honest, righteous, virtuous, honorable.

—Antonyms 2. immoral.

We might have to agree to disagree on this one.

Bob made an error in judgment by accepting to be part of the program and its antics. Will that put me in a position of saying he is an unethical individual, and because of that I'm not going to buy from him in the future? Not a chance. Let's be honest, how many "hot experts" that own a business and rely on reptile sales would have rejected an invitation to participate in the Letterman show? Can we have a show of hands? Because from what I read in this thread there's a balance between "how does Bob dare pose as a hot expert" vs. "this was an outrage".

Best regards

Old 02-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #97
neilgolli
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohMac
The NARBC Show in Arlington TX is coming up in a few weeks. Bob will be there, you will be there with my friend Michael Cole, so I guess we can get his side of the story and give him chance to explain Why?

Michael Castillo
Michael, Bob is currently reading the forums now and has the opportunity to respond in his own words. In the event that he does not, I'll be more than happy to ask him in Texas as its an explanation that I'd like as well.

BTW, how are all those condro's doing?

Old 02-12-2008, 02:50 PM   #98
Tim Cole
I know of two...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Let's be honest, how many "hot experts" that own a business and rely on reptile sales would have rejected an invitation to participate in the Letterman show? Can we have a show of hands? Because from what I read in this thread there's a balance between "how does Bob dare pose as a hot expert" vs. "this was an outrage".

Best regards
A couple people that I know were asked to appear with Hanna but refused due to his antics and lack of herp knowledge.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #99
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Bob made an error in judgment by accepting to be part of the program and its antics. Will that put me in a position of saying he is an unethical individual, and because of that I'm not going to buy from him in the future? Not a chance.
That about sums up my thoughts and opinions as well.

Intent becomes a signifigant factor when one looks at ethics; it's possible to make a poor decision or take an action that is, in hindsight, ill planned, without those decisions and actions actually stepping over that line to become unethical. A mistake can have negative reprecussions without being an inherently negative action taken by an inherently negative person.

Further, as much of an egomaniac as I am, there's more than enough room for interpretation on this subject for me to acknowledge that someone might disagree with me and not be a complete idiot. *My* perception of the segments leads me to the conclusion that there were mistakes made- and I'd like to think my perception is educated and invested on the subject, but that same investment can lead to a hypercritical analysis that a completely impartial observer would not engage in. Even with that sort of jaded eye, I'm not willing to blame person A for things said or done by person B, even if they're standing next to one another professing some unknown degree of association.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #100
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyViper
My only problem with the "poor judgment" idea or blaming all this all on Hanna was the fact that they did this type of show Twice..Once is an oophss but twice shows me intent.

I don't have a personal problem with Bob Clark, I think we would all like to hear Bob Clarks answer has to why he did this. It truly makes me sad to hear all these things. At the same time I won't bury my head in the sand. I also believe we have to care for our hobby. With the talk of Boa/python bans, wouldn't someone that makes a living from Breeding pythons be more careful about what do/say in public?

This is only question, but do you think it's possible Bob Clark is trying to break into the "reptile showbiz", just like Hanna?

I still feel whether it was Bob Clark or any other well known person in our industry, when making public appearances their actions can effect us all by the way our hobby is viewed by the public.

I want Bob Clark to stop making those types of public appearances and voicing my opinion here or writing him a personal letter is my only option.

If we say what he did is O.K. and write it off...wouldn't we be saying this is acceptable behavior?
Pam or Kerry, I'm curious if either of you contacted Bob before this thread went up about your positions and if there was any comments received back?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!