Atlanta Reptile Connection - Inquiry - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-02-2003, 02:07 PM   #1
E2MacPets
Atlanta Reptile Connection - Inquiry

Ready to go Breeding Group
Atlanta / Nationwide
Posted by Atlanta Reptile Connection (Contact Me!) on May 02, 2003 at 11:07:40

Click on thumbnails to view fullsize in a new window

2.8 adults (1 male is an amel) Four of the females are "supposed" to be het for amel, but I can't be sure, so they are priced like normals. 14 eggs so far this season (4 have hatched). Call for details. Pics available to serious inquiries!!

Here's what you get-
1.0 Amel
1.0 Hi yellow
0.8 Normal
0.0.4 het for amel
$500 + shipping ($35 per lizard)Make your money back this year.
Local sales can have the ten eggs in the incubator as well.

Trades considered for Balls (no males), Bloods, Carpets or Beardeds only. Calls preffered. 404-247-3544

http://www.atlantareptileconnection.com

-------------------

Now this is an interesting ad- ready to go breeders, that are already laying (kind of takes the fun out of buying ready to go breeders if they've already laid eggs and now are being shipped? nice amount of stress on the animals don't you think?)

The price is reasonable, probably on the high side for a package deal.

But you have to factor in that they have already been bred and already 4 have hatched. So they first started laying 2 months ago or so. Not all of the females have laid presumably which means some are probably underweight and/or too young to lay just yet.

Now also here's the thing that gets me, although it is probably an honest mistake from an inexperienced shipper. 35 PER ANIMAL SHIPPING. As opposed to a single box charge. I haven't contacted him because i'm not actually interested in the animals, but if he insists on that fee then it would change the dynamic of the entire sale from a risky one to a foolish one.

Old 05-02-2003, 02:48 PM   #2
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Steven,

The $35 per animal is what the animals cost. That is not the shipping cost. he is charging $500 for the animals, there are a total of 14 of them divide 500 by 14 you will get $35.17ea. I am pretty sure that is what he was trying to say in the ad.

Old 05-02-2003, 03:12 PM   #3
jenn_jeffery
I have never heard of this company. I lived in Atlanta for 2 years, and grew up not far from there. When I lived there, I searched for everything 'reptile' looking for reasonably priced feeders. In otherwords, if it's legit, it's a new company, or they didn't advertise at all then

Rob Hill may have a bit more input, he still lives there I know....

Old 05-02-2003, 03:55 PM   #4
Uffern
They aren't so new, as afar as I know. I remember seeing advertisements of theirs over a year ago. They don't advertise much. I believe they focus more on education than breeding for profit.

Old 05-02-2003, 04:29 PM   #5
GeckosbyDesign
I am confused

Steven:

Have you spoken to these peole or are you just posting this here to break down their add on KS? If you have not spoken to them then I do not know why you are putting them down. I like Rob understood that they meant $35 per gecko not $35 for shipping.

I do not know these people and am also in Atlanta but what does that have to do with anything. I really feel strongly that this is unfair to these people or their company. They are not showing poor animals and are upfront with the breeding issue so why can't people draw their own conclusions and decide from that?

My point is, so I do not ramble, I would hate to not type an add to someone's satisfaction and they come on here and put me down without even speaking to me first. I have written things in a hurry that I later read and realized it could be viewed differently than I had initially meant for it to. This just does not seem fair.
Just my thoughts,
Bruce Davis
www.geckosbydesign.com

Old 05-02-2003, 04:49 PM   #6
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
Atlanta Reptile Connection is not all that new. It is run by Ben Team, who I believe used to work at the ill-fated Jungle Pets at one time and I also think he did some work for the now closed House of Reptiles(not saying that the closure of those stores was his fault), though I'm not totally sure on that. He focuses more on reptile education to my knowledge, but he does produce and sell a few things here and there. I haven't done business with Ben, I've just met and seen him at a couple of local herp events, so I can't vouch for his business ethics and animal quality one way or the other.

As far as why this thread is even here, I'm not so sure. If you did not contact Ben/ARC to inquire about the animals for sale, or if you were not interested in them, why did you even bother posting? And not only that, the only thing you were posting about was his pricing and the wording of his ad? You are calling them fishy and insinuating that they may be unethical without any basis on anything. I am not exactly Ben's best buddy or anything, but unless you've got a valid inquiry about doing business or a complaint, I see no reason to be posting here to put the man's business down.

Old 05-02-2003, 05:00 PM   #7
BWSmith
I have been doing educational programs throughout Atlanta and Georgia for years. I have not heard of them or met them. But that doesn't mean anything. I focus on native GA venomous and nonvenomous species and they tend to teach with more "Pet Shop" type animals. Maybe we just have not been in the same venues because of the different specialties. Site seems pretty up front though. May have to meet them and see what they are all about.

As far as the ad, I see no reason to post it here. Not to mention the fact that I found it perfectly clear.

Old 05-02-2003, 05:04 PM   #8
E2MacPets
Yeah you're right... I was surfing without my glasses on and I think the eye strain went to my head! lol

I realize the BOI can make or break a person, but to me I frequently use it at this point to discuss issues just matter of factly with people in the hobby that I trust and value the opinions of.

I may not have expressed myself right before as I was rushed to post. And clearly I misunderstood the ad in the first place.

My main beef is the ethics of selling animals advertised as being able to breed this year and make your money back when the case is that the seller has already bred some or all of them this year.

I should have kept this anonymous and brought it up in a different forum, and for that I apologize.

Old 05-02-2003, 05:08 PM   #9
Uffern
If the dragons have dropped a clutch this year, they can still drop several more before they stop ovulation. One of my females dropped seven clutches last year. Most females will drop four or more a year when bred.

Old 05-02-2003, 05:41 PM   #10
E2MacPets
But is it ethical to ship a gravid female? I wouldn't want to stress out any herp like that, even a hardy leopard gecko as is this case.

Personally I would never ship a gravid female and I would also never ship a hatchling under a month of age.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!