Jimmy Pickett, and Oscar Parsons Trade. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-21-2003, 06:53 PM   #1
OgreFade
Jimmy Pickett, and Oscar Parsons Trade.

Well heres the situation.

I traded Jimmy known on here as Jimmy P, 8 Bearded Dragons, hatchlings

http://oregonstate.edu/~parsonso/pic...2/dragons2.jpg

These guys for 1 kimberly rock monitor.

http://oregonstate.edu/~parsonso/pic...2019/kimmy.jpg

Shown here

I got him on feb 19th. He died after, I have pictures of him dead. I took him to the vet twice for a total of 250 dollars. I alerted Jimmy that he wasn't acclimating well. Jimmy replaced him, with a pair of yellow ackies on april 2nd(this is about two months after the first animal problems. Their arrival was very stressful as they were mailed late on the first and slated for a two day delivery. I took time off of work and drove to a city 40 miles away and hasseled the post office to give up the package. Today I found the female of the pair of ackies dead. I have no idea why this animal has died. I can find no holes in my husbandry and the male of the pair is fine. I can only attribute it to a pre existing condition. Now I did tell him I thought the ackies were doing fine, and he was interested in buying hatchlings if I hatched out eggs. However there was no warning this animal would die.

I was told two of the dragons that were smaller had died, and Jimmy said nothing of getting compensated for these animals.

I however have lost 2/3rds of the animals I have been shipped and I have spent more than 250 dollars on the kimberly I recieved, I have had my heart broken twice by animals dying.

My problem is I would like to be compesanted for my loss here. I have put out effort and money trying to get this to work. Jimmy stated on the phone that he stands by his animals and wants to keep a good reputation. However as of today he says he does not want to work with me in any way, other than to find me a vender to buy a new ackie, to resolve this situation.

Jimmy has stated that I have had the animal too long and it is not his fault in any way and that I am out of luck in getting any sort of compensation or any sort of replacement. Let me quote

Quote:
I realize you went out of your way but if they would have died at the post office because they were late then the postal service would have take care of it because they were insured. And it would have been the post offices fault. But when they left here they were in perfect health; they were my up and coming breeders; and you had no complaints so I will not replace her it is not my fault (one more time if you don't get it this time call
I removed his phone number. I contend that he could exert some more effort in to this deal we had. I'm not expecting lifetime warranties on animals but at least a month. These animals never even had time to acclimate. I spent time and money producing the hatchling dragons, shipping those dragons, housing the kimberly, vet bills for the kimberly, the burial of the kimberly, getting the ackies and housing them, and now burying the female ackie. Have one male ackie to show for it.

Ackie pairs seem to be running 480.00. I have one left. Thats 240.00. So for spending the time and money with 8 dragons at 50.00 is 400 dollars, and the vet bills 250, and the shipping, 55.00, and gas.. and.. and.. feeding dying animals..

I end up with 240.00 worth of quality animal from him, after putting out 705.00 that I can quantify, and lots that I can't. I'm looking at a loss here of roughly 450.00 dollars on this deal.

Am I wrong here? Am I out of line? I feel I've been wronged and that he can do more to fix the situation. I'm very close to the situationso maybe I'm a bit biased. So I'm inquiring. What should be done here? Should I shut up and bury my monitor and leave him alone? Or should I keep working to get some sort of compensation?

I leave it to the board to help out. I emailed him and told him I was posting this.

So Let me know what you think. I have a log of most of our email corespondance too. I've tried to be very polite and also forgiving and generous in this deal.

Thanks for your help.

Oscar Parsons
541 738 8522

Old 04-21-2003, 07:08 PM   #2
ScottsReptiles
Sorry Oscar.. I don't really see why you should be compensated for your loss.

-You had the herps for a long enough time that something you have done could have caused the problems.

-He already replaced the original monitor with two ackies

-He says he has lost some of the beardies that you traded him for the monitors

-and most importantly... no money was exchanged in the trade.. it was a herp for herp trade.

Old 04-21-2003, 10:13 PM   #3
Jimmy P
Jimmy Pickett

OK Oscar And whom ever else:
It started with a trade for one Kimberly Rock Male to Oscar in return I was to get in trade * 8 bearded dragons 8" to 10" one fresh hatchling ( I got 8 bearded dragons yes but none were over 6" and two were dead with in the first two day) But that is not the point . With the Kimberly male he let me know right away something was wrong, Cool I'm glad he did ; The first time he E@Mailed me I told him to send him back, Oscar did not want to , so I said ok keep me updated and Oscar Did. When the male finally passed Oscar E@mailed Me said he died Iasked for pictures of the DEAD MONITOR on its back and holding him by the tail . Oscar said ok; after waiting a week for the Pictures I E@MAILED him agian he said he couldn't do it ;( take the picture of the dead monitor because he was to attached) I told him for any kind of exchange of the Ackies I would need to get the pictures for my record. He got right on it . I got the Ackies sent out as soon as the weather and cash would allow. When Oscar got them he had to drive like 40 miles to get them got them home and E@Mailed me they were ok but a little cold . So I E@MAILED him back keep me updated on the ackies (no problem) 6days later I E@mail him actually I Instant Messaged him how are they doing his exact responce was great digging and eatting. I took that as a good sign. About 6 more days went by and Instant Messaged Oscar agian; same responce. COOL never heard from Oscar again. Then nineteen days after he received them he E@mails me the female died and wanted a replacement SORRY Oscar 19 days is along time for anything to happen. If it was my fault my Guarantee is and will always be the same 24hour notification of any problems you might with the reptile or any problem you think the reptile to have, and LIVE ARRIVAL period. I will work with any body and offered to find him another female ackie from a freind ( at a good price by no he wanted me to give him one) sorry Oscar 19 days is to long I don't mind working with somthing ;but on the day 12 everthing was doing great and I'm the one keep updated you didn't even take time to do that ( most other people would have excepted it as a done deal and would not have IM'm you at all for updates , but I did care anouff to contact you but after 12 days of you being happy with them and them Eating good for you (THE DEAL IS DONE) Like I said in my E@Mail Sorry for your loss and if you would like to actually call; go for it you have my number .

And for anybody out there disagrees with me so be it. There is always two sides to every truth but this is my side.

Oscar Really sorry for your loss.
Later Jimmy Pickett
JimmysPituophis@aol.com feel free to E@Mail me with any comments. (anyone I don't check this very often)

Old 04-21-2003, 10:17 PM   #4
Jimmy P
one more time thin I'm done

Oscar I did not tell you to take him to a Vet I told you to send him back home ,you said, you wanted to keep him and try to get him over it . Ididn't say spend $250.00 on any Vet. bill Sorry I didn't read you post be fore I replied Just give my side of things. Thanks for everyones time Jimmy Pickett

Old 04-22-2003, 02:16 AM   #5
OgreFade
Hey I'm not looking to make you look bad. I'm a little distraught and asked other people for their opinions.

I don't know. I just feel I'm ending up with the short end of the stick. I guess thats ok then.

If someones family dog died I don't think they would want to hold it by the tail and take a picture. I never took the picture of the animal my fiance did. Another thing about sending him back. I simply do not believe he would have survived the trip back. I could not as a moral person put an animal on a flight that I did not belive it could survive. My FIRST concern was the animals life. I spared no expense, in order to keep him alive. I also could not ship him back and undo the 'trade' because according to him some of my animals were already dead. I didn't want him to ship them back to me and risk their deaths and the kimberlies death.

Either way I lose, I get 6 of my animals back or lose the 250 dollars I just put into an animal as well as the money I spent setting him up just to pay more money to ship him to his death I also took time out of work to make vet visits.

You told me that you thought she was gravid. Was it really wise to ship a potentially gravid ackie? I told you that I could wait over and over.

You told me in an email that no matter what I do, you won't change the way you feel so am I wasting my time? I guess I am. Maybe some one else will avoid making the same mistake and not make a trade.

I sure hope the male makes it. To me an established adult animal that was properly taken care of should not die within 3 weeks as hardy as monitors are.

I guess I lose. Good luck. Thanks to the other people for their input.

Well he can't be a breeder now, and I feel bad keeping him alone, and Its not like I can sell him. Everything else I got from him died shortly after they arrived.

I'm keeping alot of animals currently and I haven't had ANY trouble with anything other than what I got from Jimmy.

I guess I'll take the corpse to the vet and get a necropsy so I can find out why my animals are dying.

Oscar

Old 04-22-2003, 04:39 AM   #6
snkkpr01
WOW

This is a tuff one. First off let me say that I have seen the time and effort put into Oscars animals firsthand. That being said, Jimmy you are probably correct in saying that time was up. I know whenever I talked to Oscar the Ackies were doing good, This morning I got a shocker when he told me the female was dead. There is one thing that is really bothering me though.
You said that if he would have left them at the post office and they died it would have been OK because they were insured. First why would anyone(in the reptile business) send reptiles through the USPS. And 2 day at that. We live in OR and when the Ackies were shipped it was cold here. Second how do you get the USPS to insure something that they wont ship. He would have been SOL.
Or he would still be trying to get the problem taken care of. I am not trying to take anyones side here, but I being in the business also would NEVER sen an animal(especially ones worth that much money) 2 day mail. Other than that I guess this is between the two of you. I hope that something good can come out of this bad situation.

Good Luck
Darin Gray

Old 04-22-2003, 04:58 AM   #7
OgreFade
Technically I think he shipped it next day. To be honest I thought he shipped them UPS. I even emailed him that the tracking number wasn't working. Then I discovered it was USPS and the lady I talked to at the post office was shocked that it was supposed to be next day because the office in AR should have told him it was a two day shipment if he shipped it as late in the day as it was.

When I opened the box it was cold inside. I got them out immediatley.

I don't know I simply thought he would stick by his animals more, this IS the second time this has happened.

To me it was all about the animals and how to let them live better or feel better. Thats why I took the kimberly to the vet, and why I went way out of my way to get the animals out of the post office so they could survive. I don't care what it took I wasn't going to let two poor ackies freeze to death in a box simply because it was insured.

Jimmy said,
Quote:
Oscar I do stand by my animals but in 19 days I've talked two you twice and every thing was good (because I IM you) you made no attempt to reach me except the first day they arrived. Then all the sudden when things go bad 19 Days later you want to E@Mail me . You do what ever you want on the board of inquires at Fauna; because I know I'm right and nothing else you can say about that will make me feel different.
So I guess its a waste of time to get another opinion on what happened, or should happen. I lose out. I was ready to let him know about eggs, and I let him know about other events like feedings. I didn't contact him about anything because it was all typical until she died suddenly.

Well until later.

Oscar.

Old 04-22-2003, 08:55 AM   #8
The BoidSmith
Oscar,

It's nice to find someone who really cares about his animal's welfare. In this instance though, I feel you are out of luck. Jimmy followed-up with the replacement transaction even more than some well-known dealers would do. The animal died well beyond his guarantee period had expired and previously you had told him everything was going fine. Stuff happens! The only prerrequisite for an animal to die is to be alive in the first place!

Darin, it is not illegal to send lizards or alligators through USPS if they are under a certain size (which I don't remember on top of my head).

Regards.

Old 04-22-2003, 10:57 AM   #9
bpc
Oscar, sorry for your loss, but Jimmy went out of his way to make this right. Frankly, he didn't even need to send you those ackies. When you told him the K. was sick, he told you to return it. YOU CHOSE TO KEEP IT! Anything beyond that point was your problem. It's great that you wanted to try and take the animal to the vet and all, but that was outside of Jimmy's warranty. I think he has done more than enough to try and make you happy.

What would you have said if the animal died 31 days in? The warranty was live arrival, he went well beyond that. The vet bills were something you brought on yourself. If anything, you owe him something for the two dragons that died 2 days in. Afterall, he replaced your stuff.

Sorry man, I don't see it your way.

Old 04-22-2003, 08:53 PM   #10
OgreFade
No reason to be sorry. Its not like he would do something if everyone in this entire forum sided with me. It doesn't matter.

I'll just bury the animals and remember not to bother getting anymore.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!