Calming them down - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Kingofspades
Calming them down

All 3 of my milk snakes are insane.
I open the tub to feed them, and they just try to dart away like psychos.

Any way of calming them down?

Old 07-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
dieselfan
Time and patience.. Most of my Hondurans are super laid back now. That said, it took a little over a year for mine to relax.Remember that each individual animal is different though. I still have a 2 year old female extreme hypo vp that goes berserker everytime she is fed,hed, or cage being cleaned. Hopefully with time and proper handling yours become more docile. Good luck and nice looking animals. Thanks for posting pics!

Old 07-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Kingofspades
One is an adult male?
Do you think he has a chance of calming or is he just going to be nuts?

Old 07-27-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
Magic
Even adults can get use to handling. Adults really need consistent handling to get them accustomed, however. If you spot clean enclosures daily, it only takes an extra 5 mins of daily handling to get them used to being handled every time the door opens. So make a habit of filling water dish, scooping bedding, and then holding snake. Repeat daily until you no longer see psychotic behavior (lol).

One thing with milks is they really need to have a hide to feel secure. My milks I just pick up the hide and scoop up the snake during handling time. I've experienced if they don't have a hide box, as soon as the drawer is pulled or the top comes off...the little buggers are on the defense! Which means snapping and striking, and trying to get the heck outta dodge.
So make sure they have a place to completely get their body under/into and that will help with the flighty defense.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:23 AM   #5
Didgeridoo333
I've found frequent short handling works better than long handlings once in a while. And these guys are right that they calm in time. Try five min slow calm handling three times a week then increase from there. My black milksnakes, Hondurans, and Andeans I've had when babies we're jumpy, flighty, nervous. But I hold them each time I check on them, clean there homes, give them water, etc. I don't normally hold them more than ten to fifteen min three times a week and after one year all are mellow enough my five and nine year old an wife hold them without them getting nervous, jumpy, squirmy, etc. Just sharing my experience. Also for harder to tame snakes try leaving a dirty shirt in there enclosure a few nights a week for them to get used to your oder. Or use same soap you clean their home with just before pulling them out. I had a boa that had a super strong feeding response every time I opened his enclosure he went into hunt mode. I started tossing a shirt over his head before I picked him up to let him know I'm not food and it worked wonders.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!