Sulcata Shell Burn help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
Chris Wilkinson
Unhappy Sulcata Shell Burn help

My fault, I rescued a 60 pound Sulcata tortoise two years ago and all been well he is now just over 95lbs. Living in Alaska brings many challenges when trying to care for reptiles. Harry has a run of the 1 acre fenced yard and for 5 months out the year he is in heaven. His last owner could not care for him so I took him on. I winter him in my basement.
Last summer Harry got himself caught under my deck and damaged his front scutes. The two front scutes were peeled back and exposed the bone underneath there was no bleeding and no subsequent infections. So I left it alone. I changed heating my bulb and noticed that the area seemed to be injured. It looks like a burn but now the area around where the shell was damaged is dried and sealed. You can see the bone under where the scutes used to be. It’s the very top of the scutes and does not seem to interfere with his new growth.
I have changed my light and moved to a 150 watt heat emitted (12” above his shell) that keep his shell temp above now @ 85.5. He eats and moves fine and is doing well.
Is there anything I can do and will it heal if I just leave it alone? I’ll be moving him to the barn once I complete my reptile room. He will be with my new Black Throat Monitor. Feel like an idiot that I did not check temps I just assumed same bulb will provide same temps. NOT!

Old 07-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
dumje
how about a picture of the ara that is burnt? maybe put aloe on it or neosporin to help it heal.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
chairman
Sulcata can easily handle a basking spot with surface temps of 100*+. I think that your problem is that a one bulb basking area for a 24" tortoise isn't going to cut it. You're probably going to need to use 3-4 bulbs placed in a pattern to create a nice large spot. Good care sheets for monitors will illustrate how to arrange the lights for nice big basking areas. Additionally, I would add a livestock heat mat to a hide in your enclosure if you don't already have one. Kane and Stanfield make some very reliable ones. Sulcata will opt to use belly heat over basking spots for large portions of the day/night and having a pad will reduce the likelihood that your tortoise will hang out long enough under a lamp to burn itself again.

Also, I hope that "with" your monitor doesn't actually mean "with" your monitor. Monitors are amazingly intelligent apex predators. Your sulcata is a big bruiser, but he's an active and curious bruiser that a monitor could quickly learn to kill. And even if your tortoise remains unharmed for a long time, sleeping in the same enclosure with a predator is going to cause a lot of stress which could result in illness or death for the tortoise.

For the burn, just keep it clean and apply a topical like neosporin and it should heal up nicely. Keep the wound uncovered to discourage infection.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
Chris Wilkinson
Thanks

Good advice I will follow through on. its healing nice its dried out and seems clean and free of infections.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Chris Wilkinson
Red face UP-DATE Sulcata burn

He's doing great, talked to my vet and an a few others on some Herp forums and its best to leave it alone. The burn is only on the very top of two front scutes and are the ones prone to damage. The burns are completly dried and there is no sign of infection. Its been raining here and he is none to happy about not getting out in the sun.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!