help with jacksons PLZ - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Chameleons

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #21
Chris@TSE
Please be VERY careful taking advise from this peice of filth. She's very good at talking out of her rear, quoting websites and caresheets, and killing bearded dragons.

Here is just ONE nice Thread...
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=54323

I suggest using the search feature to find more. Good Day.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:05 PM   #22
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelfExotics
Please be VERY careful taking advise from this peice of filth. She's very good at talking out of her rear, quoting websites and caresheets, and killing bearded dragons.

Here is just ONE nice Thread...
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=54323

I suggest using the search feature to find more. Good Day.
Chris if you have some tips for him Im sure he would appreciate any help and advise you can give him with his chameleons.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:52 PM   #23
Chris Anderson
Wendy,

At the begining of the thread, you recommended a MV bulb. I'd like to caution that studies have shown that these bulbs may very well produce a UV ray intensity which is too high for prolonged exposure in situations where the animal is unable to escape the rays, notably, small enclosures. Studies have also shown that it is highly possible that chameleons self regulate their UV exposure, much like they self regulate their body temperature. For these reason, I would not recommend a MV bulb except for large enclosures as their intensity and distance they radiate their UV rays is potentially far too great for use in anything but extremely large enclosures. Furthermore, the chameleon should be allowed to regulate UV exposure and access to heat independently without being forced exposure to the other if it is not desired.

With regard to a heat bulb, I don't recommend ceramic bulbs either. Chameleons increase their body temperature by basking. This is induced by energy from light rays. If you use a ceramic heater that does not produce visible light, the actraction to that heat source is compromised preventing or potentially limiting natural attraction behavior used in thermoregulation. Instead, I'd recommend simply using an incandescent bulb as a heat source.

Next, what are the temperatures in the area the cham is kept in at night. I doubt that a night heat source is needed as these animals do benefit from a fairly significant temp drop at night (below room temp).

Lastly, it seemed like you were condoning keeping a pair together in the same cage. Keeping chams in groups is not wise.

Regards,

Chris

Old 02-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #24
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Anderson
Wendy,

At the begining of the thread, you recommended a MV bulb. I'd like to caution that studies have shown that these bulbs may very well produce a UV ray intensity which is too high for prolonged exposure in situations where the animal is unable to escape the rays, notably, small enclosures. Studies have also shown that it is highly possible that chameleons self regulate their UV exposure, much like they self regulate their body temperature. For these reason, I would not recommend a MV bulb except for large enclosures as their intensity and distance they radiate their UV rays is potentially far too great for use in anything but extremely large enclosures. Furthermore, the chameleon should be allowed to regulate UV exposure and access to heat independently without being forced exposure to the other if it is not desired.

With regard to a heat bulb, I don't recommend ceramic bulbs either. Chameleons increase their body temperature by basking. This is induced by energy from light rays. If you use a ceramic heater that does not produce visible light, the actraction to that heat source is compromised preventing or potentially limiting natural attraction behavior used in thermoregulation. Instead, I'd recommend simply using an incandescent bulb as a heat source.

Next, what are the temperatures in the area the cham is kept in at night. I doubt that a night heat source is needed as these animals do benefit from a fairly significant temp drop at night (below room temp).

Lastly, it seemed like you were condoning keeping a pair together in the same cage. Keeping chams in groups is not wise.

Regards,

Chris
Thanks Chris! You are much more experienced than me!

Thanks for the tips on the MV, there is some controversy over MV and each person makes a choice on which to use based on their needs.

That is great info on the ceramic heaters, Ill have to print that out and keep it!

If you read his post, he stated his room temps are not good at night and I did let him know that room temps are usually fine for the night drop.

He also stated the cage is divided into 2 sections so they are seperated, not together.

I keep each cham in a 260 reptarium with the MV in the back left corner hung from the ceiling. Thats just my preference to provide heat with the UVB.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:00 PM   #25
Bringerofdoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyremmyloo
Thanks Chris! You are much more experienced than me!
Like that was a big surprise or anything...............

I Would add something else to this, but chris pretty much nailed it on the head there.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:40 PM   #26
sam-hunter
"He also stated the cage is divided into 2 sections so they are seperated, not together."

IS THIS A BAD THING

i thought they are not all ways suppost to be together i thought only when they are breeding and after you seperate them what were you getting at when you statted that???
  Contact User Check User
Old 02-02-2005, 09:56 PM   #27
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-hunter
"He also stated the cage is divided into 2 sections so they are seperated, not together."

IS THIS A BAD THING

i thought they are not all ways suppost to be together i thought only when they are breeding and after you seperate them what were you getting at when you statted that???
Sam, you are supposed to keep them seperate except for at breeding time.

I do not think Chris read the entire post, he stated that I condonded (agreed) that they should be housed together when the entire time you stated they were NOT that indeed they were in a divided cage each having 1 side.

He also stated he did not agree with me on ceramic heaters, but said not to use them, odd since I stated in one of my very first post, they did not work for me with chameleons but SOME people used them.

You asked for differences in items and I gave you some descriptons, so I think Chris thought that the items I gave you info on where my suggestions of what to use, not sure if he read the post and understood what you said and what I said or if he just skimmed, didn't understand and posted anyway.

There are a lot of options for lighting/heating etc for chameleons and you just have to figure out what works best for you in your situation and YOU ARE CORRECT THAT THEY SHOULD ONLY BE TOGETHER FOR MATING!

Im sorry if you got confused in any way!

Old 02-03-2005, 01:44 PM   #28
Chris Anderson
For the most part, I was simply commenting on options that were presented as possibilities that I disagree with. Hopefully someone will benefit from it at some point even if the decission was already to avoid those options. I had missed the part about the divission, however, glad to see they aren't going to be kept together.

Chris

Old 02-03-2005, 11:07 PM   #29
sam-hunter
thanks guys im not questioning any one i just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with dividing it. inferred lights will work right they produce red light i just set my new cage up today with the lights and every thing i will post a picture in a little bit thanks again
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread