Need info Mossy leaf tail geckos - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
s&tgeckos
Need info Mossy leaf tail geckos

I have a pair of mossy leaf tail geckos and was wondering if anyone could give me detailed info on their care and breeding, I've got the basics but would like more in depth knowledge about them! All info is welcome!

Old 04-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
s&tgeckos
Here they are
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
tortoiseman453
I think reptiles magazine recently published an article on the giant leaf tailed gecko which might be similar. Good luck on your search

Old 05-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
s&tgeckos
Thanks for the info I'll look

Old 05-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
rcarichter
I raise u. phantasticus, but the care is the same. Cool and humid. Real plants and lots of hides. Unless your room is well below 70, your don't want additional heat. Also, they will shun bright light. They need a light cyle to reproduce, and to grow the plants, but a strong uv lamp will stress them. Keeping them near windows works for me. Calcium is very important for these guys, as they tend to lay infertile eggs pretty often. These will look like round sticky white peas on the plants or glass. Fertile eggs will be on the ground. That's about it. Oh, and they don't like to be held. They will appear calm, but it stresses them. Good luck, your animals are beautiful!
Noelle

Old 05-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
s&tgeckos
Question

Are you sure on the temp? Because everything I've read says they like it on the warmer side being from Madagascar and all. But no one has decided whether uv is needed or not. Maybe I'll just be on the safe side and remove the lights?

Old 05-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #7
rcarichter
I guess it depends on what you consider warm, but they never need to be above 75 or so. Most research I've done says 75-85, and my house temps stay around 75. I know hot is far more dangerous than cool. You could use a small heat lamp as long as they can get to a cooler area. I would recommend temp gauges at both ends. I've recently talked with Lawrence at Gekkotas.com about UV lighting. He agreed it can't hurt, but his uros, like mine, will choose the shadier part of the enclosure. But, there again, you have to find a balance. They need the uv for the plants and reproductive cycles.
Safe to say there aren't many experts on these guys. You don't see them flooding the market like beardies or cresties. Everyone's experience, including yours, will be beneficial to the hobby. I've never lost a CB, only WC, and I don't attribute that to husbandry. So I'll add that quarantine is super important!

Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
s&tgeckos
Thanks so much for the help! I bought them as a pair living together so I kept them together. Are females always bigger than males? I think I'll take the heat light off and just keep the UV because living here in California keeps it warm enough in the room during summer. If I do well with these ones I'll seek to increase my numbers but 2 for now is good enough :-) Thanks again for all your help!

Old 05-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
rcarichter
You're welcome! My female phantasticus are all noticably larger than my males, but I honestly don't know about your species.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
pakinjak
Temps for mossies are kindof in between... not as cool as the phants and ebanuis, but not as hot as the henks and fimbs. Keep it below 80, and they can take pretty cool temps on the low side.

I've read conflicting information on mossies (sikorae), some say they're fragile, but in the Uro Bible they mention their habitat reaching into the mid 80's down into the 50's. I have a CB pair, and haven't had one days trouble with them in any way.

I suggest doing a lot of net research and trying to get all the info you can on them, but keep the temps 68-80 and humid, things should go well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!