Need Help with outdoor housing for Sulcata please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
Kozidragons
Need Help with outdoor housing for Sulcata please

I have two sulcatas. One is about 6 years old (14 inches and 17lbs) and the other is about 9 inches weighs a lot less. They have lived outside their entire life before we aquired them. We have a small oil heater that was used but need information on how to build or buy a heated enclosure for them. Our budget is about 200.00 or less. They are in the house right now and are not liking it. I have done some research on the internet but can not find anything real concrete.

Thanks for all your help and ideas,
Desiree

Old 11-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Melinda
I am in a similar situation. Our fellas always come in for the winter but they are getting too big for that. So this weekend we're going to build a large box. Throw in a couple pig blankets and a mound of hay. We will leave the long end open so they can get in and out. I'm gonna get a couple yards of vinyl from the fabric store and cut it into strips to hang over the wide end to keep some of the heat in. We'll put the box up on our large patio that will be out of the rain.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
tinmantribe5
How cold is your lowest of lows because if you cant keep them over 70 degrees you are asking for a respitory Infection to nock on the door

Old 10-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
ewertmd
I have used plastic pig warmers that line the cage floor and give continuous heat. I bought then on the internet a few years ago.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
goReptiles
Consider a dog house or shed with ceramic heat bulbs or even the new Zoo Med ReptiTherm Habitat Heater that measures about 18"x18" They are built for larger tortoises.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
foley909
Hi Desiree;
I had the same problem as you and my tortoises are about the same size as yours. I have mine set up in the basement in 10' by 10' appox enclosure. I have probably 6" of hay as a substrate. I layered two 2x6" around the entire area for walls. On one side of the enclosure I have a "hiding" area where I mounted a two 150 red ultra-violet heat lamps as well as a small overhead heating unit, and used cypress mulch for a substrate in that area. Above the enclosure I have a 48" two uvb bulb fixture hanging down.
On the side of the enclosure I also have a dehumidifier that helps with the dryness factor. The tortoises seem happy to me and very active, obviously they would rather be outside, but the winter gets VERY cold hear in CT!!
Also be warned; if you do keep them in a room, make sure you protect your walls! Mine actually tore holes in the sheet rock!
If you would like I can take some pictures for you..

Old 03-13-2011, 03:07 AM   #7
AdamR
I too would like to see other people's enclosures. I just got a hatchling, about 3.5", sulcata and plan to build an outdoor enclosure when it's warm enough.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!