thinkingabout getting a tort. help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
lizardguy
thinkingabout getting a tort. help

here is my situation: i am planning to build a fence cage out side, i kive in south florida, i have to dogs that would be in the back yard but i figure as long as i have fence it would not matter. my dogs are only 7 and 18 pounds both full grown, i am having trouble trying to figure outwaht type i wwant that can withstand some of the wetter climate that i have. it is always hot so thats good. also i want to know where people buy grass cus i heard that is the main diet. in other words i am shooting in the dark. can i get help

Old 01-13-2006, 08:01 PM   #2
Mike Greathouse
Eric,
I live in Central Florida (similar climate) and have worked with both Leopard Tortoises and Redfoot Tortoises. Both can easily thrive here.

The Redfoots are my personal favorite. They are easy to care for - Their primary diet is greens and some fruit. This means you don't need to find a source for grasses. Even as adults, they stay at a manageable size. They don't dig - big plus. But the single biggest ad vatage in my eyes is their personality. They are very social and, in my opinion, one of the friendliest of the Chelonians.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to relay my experiences with them.

Good luck in your search.

Old 01-13-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
lizardguy
o really great and they are on the market for like what price. also how big of cage do you have and what size do they get. you feed differnt types of lettuce and things rite. also how oftet dp they eat. i have chameleons and snakes so i am not stupid but i defently dont no that much about tortoises.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:16 PM   #4
Mike Greathouse
Eric,
You can usually find them available for $60.00 and up depending on the coloration.

For the babies, I use a black plastic mortar pan. This will last for a year or two. They are available at most DIY stores like Home Depot for under $15.00.
The black ones work best as the tortoises (who are very curious) cannot see out and so don't spend all their time trying to get out. The edges are smooth and the walls taper outward which helps to prevent the from flipping over.

The primary diet is leafy greens such as Collards, Turnip Greens, Kale, and Romaine in a pinch. Avoid iceberg as it is nutritionally void. The greens should make up 80% of the diet. To this I add some fruit: Papaya is an ideal fruit. They also get the following in limited amounts: Banana, Tomatoes, Seedless Grapes, and citrus.

I feed the young ones daily. I measure out the food to an amount that they will eat in about 20 minutes. I sprinkle a calcium powder over the food about twice a week.

Always keep fresh water available. With the babies, I use deli cup lids, then as they grow, I move up to clay pot bottoms of appropriate sizes. Just make sure the water is shallow and that they can easily enter an exit the water bowl. I also advocate a bath / playtime every night or so for the babies. Young tortoises are prone to dehydration and this helps in that regard. It also becomes a fun time for the tortoises and allows them to bond with their keeper.

This is quickly turning into a novel. This should get you started. If you have any other questions - just ask.

Old 01-14-2006, 01:32 PM   #5
lizardguy
ok, if i buy a 51 gallon plastic container and get a 100 wat heat bulb, do i need a uv bulb as well. how long do you think a tortoise can live in there until they grow out of it. also, if i buy a sulcata, but keep them it in my house do you think humidity will be a big factor. for some reason i looked at the red foots and i like the sulcatas colors better, but if they are to hard to care for then i will not bother. what types of climate does a leopard torotoise and how big do they get. also, at my pet shop they have a sulcata that is in sand and i was wondering if i get one do i use sand as a substrate. i heard they eat alot of grass, what happens if i only feed greens and vegtables.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
Mike Greathouse
The 51 Gal container will work fine for awhile. The time will depend upon what species of tortoise that you go with. The Leopards and Sulcatas are both larger species and will grow faster. The UV light will help, but I would recommend as much natural sunlight as possible. They need it to process the calcium.

Regarding the humidity, that can vary dramatically from one house to the next. You'll need to monitor your own setup and make changes as necessary.
If the humidity is too low, the addition of some moist soil in a portion of the container will help. Live plants will help as well, although they are generally eaten quickly.

The Leopards and Sulcatas are very nice animals, just not as much personality in my opinion. The Leopards don't get all that much larger then the Redfoots. The Sulcatas on the other hand will become a real commitment. The only real drawback with the Sulcatas is that they are diggers. They will tunnel out and down for 30 feet or more. This isn't very practical unless you have some land.

I would avoid sand as a substrate (especially with the young tortoises). It's just too easy for them to ingest it. It also does not help with humidity issues.

If you go with a Leopard or Sulcata, you are going to have to find a source for the grasses. Their system is not meant to digest leafy greens all the time and will cause problems long term. There are numerous on-line sources for the grasses - so it's not a big problem. It just takes a little more effort then picking up the tortoise food at the local grocery store.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:41 PM   #7
lizardguy
but a redfoot does not eat that much grass, see i thought if i am going to get a tortoise y not go for one that will be big, but i really dont like the idea of them digging so deep. so if i got a 51 gallon for a redfoot that should easily last a while.

Old 01-15-2006, 04:37 AM   #8
Mike Greathouse
Correct.
The 51 Gal would easily last two or three years.
Just be sure to try and provide as much natural sunlight as possible.
From a diet standpoint, a Redfoot would also be easier to care for.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!