Sulcata concerns - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Hypancistrus
Sulcata concerns

We have been researching sulcatas for several months now in hopes of acquiring a hatchling to grow for our educational events. We found a nice hatchling at the Hamburg expo yesterday and brought her home. It was a 2.5 hour trip, but we kept the car warm and her deli cup secure. She was very active at the show, with bright clear eyes and nostrils, and she was active on the trip home in her carrier.

She was asleep by the time we got home, and we put her into her viv with a little food, some hay and water. She cruised a little and then went back to sleep. This was around 7 PM last night.

This morning, she did not wake up right away. She then woke and moved halfway across her tank. I offered food again and still she continued to lay around. I am actually getting concerned at this point. Is it normal for a baby tortoise to sleep so much, or is something wrong? Her temps on the warm side are in the mid 80's via ceramic heat emitter, and on the cool side, mid-70's. She has food, hay and water. What should I do? Just wait for her to adjust?

Old 12-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Melinda
The little ones seem to not want to eat hay. Can you get some fresh grass/weeds to offer? If you can't find those, perhaps some supermarkets sell dandelion or just to get her eating Romaine lettuce. She also may be dehydrated. Put a pie plate/large saucer of warm water under her heat emitter and soak her for a bit. Make sure her head does not go under water. Water level should be no higher than the top of her plastron (bottom shell).

Old 12-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
lpcad
I agree with Melinda. She could be dehydrated. You should soak her.
As far as feeding is concerned, it is a great idea to grow some grasses for her.
And, don't forget the uvb.
http://www.sulcata-station.org is a great resource.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
bigalosu
I would lean towards itnot liking the hay and not dehydration.
Young sulcatas usually do not like dried grasses and will usually not eat it if offered. Switch to Dandelion greens or another fibrous green form of vegetation from your local grocery store. As it gets older, you can mix the dry stuff in with the green stuff and eventually it will transition. This is not always an easy transition though.
I don't think it would be dehydrated though. If you bought it from a reliable breeder and it had energy at the show, then it is most likely just the food. Try to soak it several times a week for the first few months and slowly lay off to once a week or so. My research has shown that soaking is mainly used as an aide for waste excretion and while your tort may drink some while in the water, it should not be seen as a way for them to get water, especially since you can usually see all the excrement floating in the water almost immediately after they get in. In nature they get their water via their diet, so you should not soak them or even have a pan of water in their enclosure. This can lead to shell rot and can be very bad for the little guy.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
lpcad
http://www.sulcata-station.org/articles.html
maybe check out the article on hatchling failure syndrome. I don't think that one missed meal is not going to make him/her lethargic.
Lauren, how is the little one doing?

Old 12-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
caz223
Sulcatas respond to light.
I had my activeUVheat bulb on a timer that came on at 8:30, the sulcata would wake up at 8:45, and hang out under the light until warmed up (9:15ish) and then start being active.

Does he sleep on the hot side?
Mine always slept on my Kane heat mat, and wanted to stay warm all the time.
Operating temperature for these guys is low-mid 90s during the day.
I never let mine get under 80, except for soaking.

The things to watch for are dehydration, impaction, enough belly heat, Ca ratio of their foods, excessive sugar or protein in their diet, and lots and lots of UVB rays.
Babies should never be allowed to get under 80F, never kept on any substrate that isn't digestible, and must have access to belly heat.
Also take lots of baby pictures, because once they're 25+ pounds, you'll never believe they were ever that small.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
jozzep
I was at the hamburg show as well.
Remember that these animals are under stress from being transported to the show, the drive home, and the new enclosure. Give it some time to adjust.
Any updates?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!