Protein Skimmers? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 10-21-2004, 04:41 PM   #1
ohiolobo
Question Protein Skimmers?

My young RES hatchling is doing well in his 20 gallon tank. Eating well, basking nicely, and the water is crystal clear thanks to the Penguin filter and weekly water changes. However, I have an oily (looking) scum on the top of the water which never gets to the filter. I don't get it with water changes either without extraordinary measures.

I assume others have met with this and dealt with it. Is this a time for a protein skimmer? Other suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken

Old 12-13-2004, 03:05 AM   #2
lacunacobra
Thumbs up

Hey there! The name "protein skimmer" can be a bit misleading. It does not actually "skim" water from the surface. They are primarily used in marine aquatic systems as the high salinity of the water facilitates the foaming action created by the mixing of the water and the air. Unlike a mechanical filter, a skimmer removes proteins and other contaminates from the water column before they have the chance to break down into more harmful elements. I have not known any other people in the aquarium trade to use skimmers on fresh water setups. What your best option would be is a filter that hangs on the back of the tank. I would recommend Penguin Bio-wheel filters by Marineland. They provide triple filtration and remove toxins, increase oxygen levels and allow for the cultivation of beneficial bacteria. They will run you about $15.99 - $25.99 for the filter, replacement cartridges ~ $5.59 - $9.99. They are super easy to use and come with replaceable fitted cartridges for maintenance. (prices taken from www.DrsFosterSmith.com) They come in a variety of sizes depending on the size of your tank. You could use either the Biowheel mini (2-20gal w/100 gal. per hr. flow rate), or a Biowheel 125 (10-30gal. w/125 gph flow rate). If you know you're planning on moving him to a bigger tank in the near future, go for the 125 as you can always upgrade. There are other models with higher gph rates, and not all models are listed in DrsFoster/Smith, but either of those two should be great for your little one. It's not uncommon for the food to leave off some "oily looking residue" on the surface. It's the same with a lot of fish foods too. It's not a bad thing, but can be an irritating eye sore. Be sure to get him a little turtle ramp so he can hop out of the water and bask. I hope this helps you out. Feel free to email me if you have any more questions. I'd be glad to give you any advice I can. Take care

Old 12-13-2004, 10:09 PM   #3
SPJ
The waters surface tension is different in sW vs FW so askimmer will not work for you. Once the SG gets below 1.008, they stop functioning properly.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
user*name
Wink Hi

Another option might be an internal filter. WHisper makes a few models, the 10i and 20i i thinf theyre called. You could use this in conjuncton with your external power filter. THeres no such thing as "over-filtration" when it comes to keeping aquatic turtles( as long as there isnt too much turbulence) Best prices ive seen are bigalsonline and drfostersmith. Good luck.

Ray

Old 12-14-2004, 09:48 PM   #5
exoticpetz
I`m not sure that I agree that a protein skimmer wouldn`t be useful in a freshwater setup. For instance, if I pour a can of flakes in a tank full to the brim, containing only freshwater, with only a protein skimmer running, and leave it overnight, will I find an empty collection cup in the morning? Regardless, there is no substitute for frequent, consistent water changes.
Lee Rowe

Old 01-04-2005, 02:57 AM   #6
lacunacobra
Well, just like SPJ says, skimmers will not function at salinity levels low enough to be considered fresh water. That's just the mechanics of it. I have never heard a recommendation of skimmers being used in FW setups. It just doesn't work. They're very expensive so why waste $ on a skimmer for FW when you know it won't work. There are many other filtration systems available that can solve the problem.

Old 01-10-2005, 02:12 AM   #7
gfisher2002
My RES tanks get an oily looking film on the surface sometimes. I stick an airstone in the tank and it helps break the protien up at the surface of the water and aid in circulation. It clears up in a week or so.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!