People who own cars! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:10 PM   #1
mxracer4life
People who own cars!

Hi, my name is Jeremy, I work at an automotive repair facility selling parts, service etc. I get so annowed by the people that come in here. We just had a guy come in that bought a $100,000 mercedes benz and it needed front brakes. You can only use mercedes benz pads on those or you can have problems. It cost $285 to get the brakes done, which sounds like a lot for brakes, but this car....... The average brake job cost $175, on cars that are under $20,000..... He was furious when he found this out! I mean, come one, you spend 100 grand on your car and b%*#@ about a $285 brake job! People kill me! I hate spending money on my car, it sucks! But its something you have to have! For instance, if you have an outdoor gas grill and a part breaks and its going to cost you $100 bucks to repair it, what would you do? You can buy another grill for $150-$200 or you can repair it. What if you buy a new one and 6 months down the road the SAME thing happens. We see a lot of people that just trade there car in when something goes wrong, but it always ends up costing them more, they just don't realize it. I am a rookie at venting - give me some time later

Old 06-06-2006, 03:16 AM   #2
ladyserpent7
vent away my friend..you have all the time in the world

Old 06-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
Dennis Hultman
LOL,

How come every time I take any of my cars in to the shop just do a break job, they try to tell me I need the drums replaced and everything else, regardless if it really needs it or not?

Old 06-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
in to
*into

Old 06-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
Dennis Hultman
*Brake

What a morning,

I really hate the fact that the edit function is gone.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
ZX11
The automotive repair industry is mainly comprised of shops that pay yht employees a low wage and offer commissions. When this is done, the art of over selling comes in and if the tect is a smooth talker, he'll make good money every Friday.

Sears got into serious trouble in the early 90's from over selling products and services. In a plea agreement, it was decided that this practice would come to an end. And it did, but........

They came back with "suggestive selling", which means they cannot say you need what you don't, but they can suggest a new part because this one "may" fail soon. They are not allowed to say what soon means, so the techs are instructed to merely say " I cannot say when, maybe a year from now or could be tommorrow".

Alot of chain repairs facilities now practice " suggestive selling".

As a tech, I often blew off that crap and got lower wages, but had a good customer base. Currently I am building a shop of my own and NOBODY will recieve commissions. A flat rate salary eliminates the evils of over-or suggestive selling.

If you vehicle requires mechanical attention, shop for a repair facility that employs ASE certified techs and does not pay them by commission.

As for people flipping out over the cost of repairs, it happens. But then, you also have the folks that looks and act as though they cannot afford the repairs. They are usually the ones not to argue or dispute it, but rather pay in cash without hesitation. Meanwhile that guy going through midlife crisis buys a Jag and complains that the bill is about $200.00.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!