Crested Gecko Enclosure Help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-28-2018, 11:23 PM   #1
dishay
Crested Gecko Enclosure Help

Hi! I have had a juvenile crested gecko for a month now and have just upgraded him to a larger enclosure with more plants and hiding spots. I read up on different substrates and decided to try Zilla Jungle Mix as he does not eat live food, just CGD from a dish (which is on a piece of pink foam and not directly on the substrate).
My question is; is the Jungle Mix ok for a younger crestie? I don’t know his exact age, but I know he is less than a year old. Unfortunately, I’m still waiting on my gram scale to come in so I don’t have exact weights. If he’s not eating live, will there still be a safety risk?
I have attached some pictures of the new enclosure and if you notice anything else that needs tweaking please let me know! Thanks!

(PS: If someone could tell me how to rotate these pics, that would be great! They don’t look like this on my phone! )
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #2
Liveforthis
Be careful with cresties and substrate. I have had some young ones eat mouthfuls of dirt and die of impaction because they didn't know any better. I have about 80-100 cresties and only my retired breeders/pets are housed with eco earth/dirt substrate. Most of my cresties have a paper towel bottom.

Your cage looks good...no need for the hide on the bottom.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
dishay
Re: Cage

Oh good thank you! I decided to switch back to paper towel. I may try reptile carpet in the future, but only if I can find some that won’t potentially snag his toes. The hide is just there because it was in his original enclosure and he grew very attached to it Thanks again!

Old 05-06-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Liveforthis
I tried reptile carpet and their teeth would get snagged and they would cause damage to their jaw to get out. I removed it right away and would stay far away from that.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
elena
Paper towel is much better than carpet. Carpet needs to be cleaned and can harbor bacteria, whereas paper towel just gets rolled up and thrown away. Easier and more hygenic.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!