Brazilian Rainbow Refusing Meals - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-02-2005, 10:45 PM   #1
Sunshines2day
Brazilian Rainbow Refusing Meals

I posted about 2 weeks ago on another forum about my seemingly not ill adult female that refused 2 meals, now she has refused her 3rd. She has been eating f/t so I tried a live rat today after she refused a f/t yesterday with no response. I examined her yesterday to the best of my knowledge and couldn't find anything I thought wasn't normal. She's bright and alert and has gained back the weight she lost since her babies the first week of June. She hasn't been weighed. Anyway, I haven't had a sick snake yet, and don't know if she's ill. There aren't anybubbles or mucous coming from her nostrils, she doesn't wheeze or whistle, and she hasn't had diarrhea or regurgitation. She moves about as usual, not staying in one spot more than a few days. I have not used a stethoscope to listen to her. The inside of her mouth seems normal to me.

The differences in her environment include a new BARRS cage the first week in November, a new hide on the cooler side, separation from her male cagemate that same week in November and an an unkown humidity increase. She hasn't eaten since Nov. 28th. Her temps are the same, 76 warm side, 71 cool side. Her body surface temp is 73 both today and yesterday.

I would like to do a fecal, but she hasn't pooped. I don't think she is constipated, I can't feel any mass. What should I do or look for? She hasn't passed any urates for a couple of weeks, I could check for the date.

I think I'll wait for some suggestions and decide what to do. I'm thinking of giving her panacur and or flagyl, doing a culture and sensitivity of her mouth(a microbiologist owes me a favor), and moving her back alone into the Lizard Lounge.

Any suggestions?

Linda

Old 01-02-2005, 10:54 PM   #2
ms_terese
All of my caresheets for BRB's indicate the temps should be between 78 - 85. Have you always kept her between 71 - 76?

Old 01-02-2005, 11:07 PM   #3
Sunshines2day
Not Always, but...

She originally was kept with a warmer temp of 84 to 76. she always was on the cooler side so it has been lowered over a period of 3 years to the point where she normally goes back and forth every 2 days or so. She has bred and produced viable offspring in 2003 and 2004 after her purchase in early 2003. The temps have basically remained the same for about 2 years.

Thanks,
Linda

Old 01-04-2005, 09:41 AM   #4
ravensgait
Hey Sunshine

Sounds like she's just fine and probably just trying to get ready for her next date I have a male doing the same thing lol go figure and like yours he likes things rather cool, the cool side in his box is around 70-72 and he spends at least part of his day there. I often wonder how many generations it'll take to have these guys prefering the same temps as we do. Randy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!