Two Mice at Feeding Time? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-03-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
Skunky
Two Mice at Feeding Time?

Hey folks,

So Colonel Mustard, my 05 ball python (22" or so, weight unknown), has gotten to a size where an adult mouse once a week seems to be too small. He has no problem gulping them down quickly and you can barely notice a bump afterwards.

Unfortunately, the next step up is a "small rat" at my local pet store which looks the size of a dachshund and in my books is way too big for my BP. So until he gets big enough to handle a small rat, I was thinking of feeding two adult mice.

I know this is not the ideal situation, but would there be any health-associated problems with doing so?

Thanks for your help

Old 05-03-2006, 12:36 PM   #2
Bill & Amy
There is absolutely no problem feeding 2 small prey items compared to one large. It should work fine until you decide he can switch.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:39 PM   #3
Skunky
Thanks for your rapid response Bill. Just one other question..I feed live, so would there be any impediment for my snake to take on another mouse with a mouse already in the belly? Ie. ability to restrict, possibility for regurge with the additional exertion etc?

Old 05-03-2006, 02:04 PM   #4
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky
Thanks for your rapid response Bill. Just one other question..I feed live, so would there be any impediment for my snake to take on another mouse with a mouse already in the belly? Ie. ability to restrict, possibility for regurge with the additional exertion etc?
There shouldn't be any problems, I have fed multiple smaller meals without any problems. You just want to make sure and wait to introduce the second prey item till after the snake has completely swallowed the prey. I usually wait until the snake realigns its jaw and starts moving around the tank again.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Skunky
Excellent..thanks Bill, really appreciate it!

Old 05-05-2006, 03:20 AM   #6
davu
Do you have a picture? Anyway you could get him weighed? If he is an 05 and a large mouse seems to small i dont think you would have a problem going to a small rat. You would be surprised how big of a meal a BP can eat. The size of its largest girth is optimal. I say give the small rat a try unless your ball is that skinney. A lot of the times pet shops will help pick out a good size for you. Have you thought about switching over to f/t?

Old 05-05-2006, 08:21 AM   #7
Skunky
Hey Wendy, he's slighly smaller than most the guys I interact with on other forums..so he's a little runt

I'm sure he'd be ready for a small rat..but small is pretty relative..my pet shop sells "small" rats that could probably be mistaken for a baby rotty

Old 05-05-2006, 09:03 AM   #8
avdnco
Since I feed f/t I"ve been getting "Rat Weanlings" on line, which is the size in between.
I have found that sometimes they won't always take a second prey, not to mention the time involved in waiting around... and considering that when they get large enough to take a small rat, the may be pray imprinted on mice... Imagine the time involved when having to feed 4-5 Mice...
either way... good luck.
MHO

Old 05-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
tstrenuous10
i just did this. I tried the "small" rat my pet shop sells. small mice are 20g and they said the small rat was 40g. mine took it down fine and i was at the same point as you, small mice made no noticable impact.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:54 AM   #10
Skunky
Thanks for all your input guys..I think I'll give him another few weeks, and then try the jump up to small rats.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!