Wanting to get into Balls, but wife will not allow. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
Lucille
Seriously, the relationship comes first, but a no pressure approach like a reptile show, or perhaps a new gold ring in a snake shape, are all ideas that might help.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
JohnNJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintdowns View Post
...and litterally told me that if I got a snake and moved it into the house then she would move out.

I think I missed the downside. This sounds like a win-win situation.

To be serious for a moment, marriage is all about compromise. I'm sure there are things you do for her that you're not that thrilled with. Talk it through.

I would start with a small corn snake that you got for free from someone that couldn't keep it anymore and that was going to be put to sleep so you rescued it.

BTW, how thrilled is she going to be when you finally convince her to let you have the snake and she finds a bag full of rats in her freezer.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #13
AbsoluteApril
Good ideas have been posted here! I would start off showing her photos of some really beauitful specimens (not just ball pythons either, show her some of the variety, like brazilian rainbow boas, san francisco garter snakes, maybe a pretty blue green tree python). Photos may be easier for her to accept at first than seeing them in person at a reptile show. I've met some people with really bad fears and just knowing it's live and so close can really freak them out so pictures are a harmless way to start. Even artistic shots like close up of scales are a good way to start. I did this with one of the ladies here at work and now she'll come look at them in person because 'they are pretty, like jewels'. She even touched one for the first time, it took a while to get to that point. Some people never get over the fear but if she likes the lizards it's a good stepping stone to move to snakes. Snakes are similar to lizards just without the legs (well you can say that anyways.. haha.. it might help).

good luck!

Old 06-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
smb2585
I was scared crapless at the thought of getting a snake. I went on the "bad" I had heard and wasnt up for it, but being that i love my boyfriend i let him get his BP and said whatever.. when we drove to MD to pick it up (from Rich Baker - Chesapeake Bay Ball Pythons - HE IS WONDERFUL) and was around them i was still freaked out... when we got home i sucked it up and held him.. we ended up naming him Striker.. ahahaha... but after about a month i was like "f it... i want another" so we got our bumble bee from colin weaver (east coast reptile breeders) and now almost a year later we have more than a handful and i handle every single one of them. Ask her to compromise and give you the benefit of the doubt... now i go into the pet stores (even though i wouldnt buy one from one around here) and i look at them every time.. sometimes i go just to see them... I have found that I love our bumblebees (we got another from Matt Shifflett - American Made Exotics) and they are my favorite. They are the sweetest... I have even gotten my mom and best friend to hold our bee female... and my mom was intrigued... scared like i was but now she is fascinated.. tell her if you get a BP she can get an animal of her choice

good luck!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #15
hisshers
I actually talked with my wife about this and she said going to the reptile shows helped her. She said seeing all those people and all those kids being interested meant there must be something she wasn't seeing!
She was also impressed with the professionalism there...made it seem more legit than some carney hawking snakes at the local fair!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #16
clintdowns
I would like to start off by telling everyone thanks for all the info. I believe there is a show in OKC in the next couple of weeks. I am trying to get her to go up there to it with me. I also found a guy here on base where I work at that has a small collection of 8 or so. I am going to try and get her to go over to his house with me and see his. I am going to start off by taking my 4 year old daughter over there that way she will like them then she can come home and talk about them. "GOOD IDEA HUH". I will be sure and keep everyone updated of where I am going with all this.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:15 AM   #17
airtight_python
If she doesn't get used to it THROW HER OUT... or just put her in a box and sleep with the snake. But in all seriousness, the only advice I can offer that I don't think has been said is "Do not pressure her into them!"

Old 10-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #18
Diablo20069
Start off small like a baby corn then move up worked for me now I have 4 adult corns 2 bearded dragons 5 leopard geckos and 4 diamond back terrapins and 2 ball pythons

Old 10-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #19
Productmur
A lot of women respond positively to hognoses, because they're tiny and have a cute upturned nose and they play dead. I personally fell in love with my corns, but I liked snakes before that.

I agree, though, that a reptile show may help. Show her that there are so many colors and different kinds of critters. Many vendors will allow their animals to be held, so when the time comes that she's curious, she can hold one--or, you could hold one (ball pythons being generally calm and inclined to ball up instead of getting in that strike position may help) and prompt her to feel its sides, just to show her how they feel. A lot of people just need to get over the idea that they're slimy. :P

Old 10-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #20
Inret
It's great you want to help, but this thread is 2 years old so I imagine he worked it out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!