dhl incomptiance in handling - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:55 PM   #1
turtleman1
dhl incomptiance in handling

i had a shipment due in this am, about 0900 got a call from dhl,my box was on the truck, driver heard movment in the box, so she opened it. inside was 2bags, 1 contained 200 painted turtles,she looked at them, and put them back in the box. she opened the other box, it contained an adult western hognose female, she was scared of snakes so she closed the box, took it outside to a field and let it go, dhl mgr called
and told me about it, i had to drive to panama city, 60 miles to get the turtles, they did not get back on the truck (this was at there office) so i am out a snake and she dumped turtles and all , mgr got back 151 of 200
gu3ess know why i dont use dhl/airborne
gene

gene arnold
turtleman 1

Old 09-09-2004, 05:43 PM   #2
John316
Sorry to here that Gene!
Unfortunately whoever shipped to you should have had better sense than to ship a snake with them which is against their policy.
True they shouldn't have dumped your turtles but if the rules would have been followed in the first place it seems all would have been fine.
Cynthia

Old 09-09-2004, 05:43 PM   #3
TripleMoonsExotic
I would definitly make sure that woman or DHL is held accountable for the missing animals. Payment in full for the worth of the animals and shipping. Make sure the seller voices his complaints as well.

That kind of <font color=red>[**censored**]</font> gets me heated.

Old 09-09-2004, 06:27 PM   #4
geckokreeper
Angry

Isnt it a Federal offence to open someone elses mail? Even if she heard movement she should have called the head hauncho and even then I think they would have to call the inspector, police or something. They cannot just open YOUR mail with YOUR NAME on it because she thought she heard movement. What if there was nothing alive inside and she was just hearing things? She cannot open your mail at her own discreation. I would call the main office and file a complaint against the driver for tampering or opening mail that doesnt belong to her. I think if she knows she could be charged with a felony she would be more than happy to pay for your loss. I am very sorry for your loss and hope you get some kind of compensation.

Old 09-09-2004, 06:35 PM   #5
DThomas
Quote:
Originally posted by geckokreeper
Isnt it a Federal offence to open someone elses mail? Even if she heard movement she should have called the head hauncho and even then I think they would have to call the inspector, police or something. They cannot just open YOUR mail with YOUR NAME on it because she thought she heard movement. What if there was nothing alive inside and she was just hearing things? She cannot open your mail at her own discreation. I would call the main office and file a complaint against the driver for tampering or opening mail that doesnt belong to her. I think if she knows she could be charged with a felony she would be more than happy to pay for your loss. I am very sorry for your loss and hope you get some kind of compensation.
It is not mail, it is a package sent through a private carrier. They have every right to open any box for any reason to inspect. NO violation of law and it is clearly out lined in all of the major carrier's policies.

In addition, the post office also has the right to inspect anything tendered to them for delivery. It is a violation of Federal Law for a private citizen to open mail addresses to another. But, it has to be sent through the USPS to be considered mail.

Old 09-09-2004, 06:52 PM   #6
Wraith
Re: dhl incomptiance in handling

Quote:
Originally posted by turtleman1
she was scared of snakes so she closed the box, took it outside to a field and let it go, dhl mgr called
and told me about it, i had to drive to panama city,
Correct me if I am wrong but is it not against Federal regulation (as well as state laws) to be releasing a captive reptile (or any animal) into the wild (regardless if native or not)? They could be nailed for breaking federal law in that respect....they should never have released the snake.

Adrian

Old 09-09-2004, 06:54 PM   #7
David Scarboro
Lightbulb We have to police ourselves

I believe that we as reptile keepers/breeders/collectors/sellers/shippers have to hold ourselves accountable for the way we ship animals. True, the DHL Lady's actions were way out of line, but maybe if the shipper had done a better job of packaging, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. In this day and age, with everyone on alert for suspicious packages, we have to do a better job. This year I have bought and traded a number of reptiles. I have had some great experiences, but... I have gotten pkgs. with snakes clearly visible, have not gotten pkgs. (returned to sender) with snakes hanging out of the pkg., and have had snakes shipped to me through usps, even though I had paid for proper shipping. I think that the future of our hobby is up to us, and it will not get better until we clean up our own act!
Just My Opinion
David Scarboro
Dahlonega, Ga.

Old 09-09-2004, 07:17 PM   #8
ChaosCat
DHL has personally called me and asked to be my live reptile shipper. SO THEY DO SHIP REPTILES. Either that, or Chris @ DHL lied to me when he called me. Sorry, I don't have his last name.

I'd work on getting your money back for the lost snake and shipping.

Old 09-09-2004, 07:31 PM   #9
turtleman1
dhl

dhl said file a claim and they would pay, so thats no problem, but when i shipped airborns (same thing) they called and said they lost a box, this was before i knew it was missing, it was during my buzy season, did not have time to file then, they sent me a letter later saying i had not filed son enough. and i still had to pay the shipping on the box, it was 100 4 in turtles aand shipping was 76.00, thats why i quit useing them, that and
they were charging me shipping on collect shipments, cust, had already paid
gene

Old 09-09-2004, 07:54 PM   #10
Russ Bates
Couldn't Agree More DHL Stinks

I don't know why others use that lousy company. I just today received snakes that should've been here a day and a half ago. Man that ticks me off when they screw up and then you end up talking with some dumba## tech that tells you
"Well Sir, I see that the package was last scanned at the sort facility"...

Well no ShEEAT! I can read a dang computer screen you freeking moron. Tell me something I can't see like two DHL planes with flat tires at the end of the runway....with my package on it......

Fortunately my snakes made it here alive.

Russ

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!