what is a BCI - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-02-2003, 05:53 PM   #1
Mr.Tegu
what is a BCI

I see lots of posts for BCI's and i dont have a clue what kind of boa they are sept for seeing pics

Old 02-02-2003, 06:58 PM   #2
Ron Billingsley
what is BCI?

Not that it is slang, but it is being used as such. BCI stands for Boa constrictor imperator, better known as the Central American Boa Constrictor or the Boa found west of the Indes Mountains, including Columbia, Panama and further north. Hope this helps.

Old 02-02-2003, 07:11 PM   #3
BrianB
Actually, I think people selling BCI make a distinction between Central American (CA is the common abbreviation there) and Columbian BCI. The CA localities tend to be a bit smaller and some are really outstanding in appearance. I've never seen Central American Boa used as a common name for BCI in general.

Other common names for BCI are Common Boas and Columbian Red Tailed boas.

Which brings up BCC, or Boa constrictor constrictor, which are "true redtails," which generally have redder tails, lower saddle counts, and grow a bit larger. Since Columbia has both subspecies, BCI is commonly used instead of Columbian Red Tail or Red Tail.

BCI is convenient shorthand to distinguish between common boas and true red tails.

Old 02-02-2003, 07:16 PM   #4
Ron Billingsley
BCI, BCC, CA, etc

To be honest, other then the true Boa Breeders out there, most people will tell you anything they think you want to hear on the Boa that is sitting in front of them they are trying to sell. IF they think they can squezze a few more bucks out of it by calling it a BCI, they will. Just yesterday, a kid was walking around with two small boas, calling them Het. for Albino Boas for X amount of money. Looking them over, I came to the concussion they were freshly imported boas, and he was trying to find an easy target.
So, as usual, I always say "Buyer Beware".

Old 02-02-2003, 09:18 PM   #5
Mr.Tegu
thanks alot guys, didnt think i'd get replies so soon