Monitors allowed in Hawaii - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
blyndsnypr
Monitors allowed in Hawaii

I am moving to Hawaii and Ive been looking on Hawaii.gov and have found a list saying that the following are prohibited from entry or possession by private individuals in the State but i dont know if that is all and cant others lists. does anybody have a direct link to a list of banned Monitors or something?
# alligators
# Bearded dragon lizards
# Bees (alive or dead)
# Bulbuls
# Coconut crabs
# Electric catfishes
# Ferrets
# Gerbils
# Geckos
# Hamsters
# Hermit crabs
# Land snails
# Lion fishes
# Lories
# Monk parakeets
# Piranhas
# Snakes
# Snapping turtles
# Toucans

Old 12-18-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
blyndsnypr
41 people and nobody has anything?

Old 12-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
Clay Davenport
I don't have anything more than what you could find on google, but I always understood it to be pretty much everything not native to Hawaii was illegal to possess there.
I could easily be wrong on that as I've had no reason to actually look up the laws, but they are apparently extremely paranoid about something happening there as has happened on Guam.
Given the island's climate and natural flora and fauna, I'd have to say that would be a reasonable concern.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
blyndsnypr
i know they have 17 species of reptiles there already including iguanas, chameleons, geckos and skinks

Old 12-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
Clay Davenport
Monitors being carnivorous predators, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't banned across the board.
The officials in Hawaii really don't want anything upsetting the balance of nature they have managed to maintain. Non native herbivores and insectivores, while still unwanted, aren't as much of a problem.

I'm sure you could contact someone at the Hawaii DNLR and they could either provide you with, or point you to the actual regulations.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
blyndsnypr
here at hawaii.gov i found a series of lists and on the list of prohibited animals under the reptile section it only says all snakes and gila monster
http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/admin-rules/s...try/AR-71P.pdf

Old 12-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Clay Davenport
That particular list doesn't mention monitors, but if it were me, I'd want something more concrete before I tried to bring any into that state.
I'd want to talk to someone in that department with the state.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
blyndsnypr
yeah
the people i will be living with are already in Hawaii and will ask around for me and if they dont find out anything concrete i will make a call

Old 12-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
TailsWithScales
Last I was told all predatory reptiles were illegal there unless you have a zoo permit. They do not allow importation or shipping inbound of predatory reptiles. I had a gentleman try to buy a monitor of mine last years and he lived on the big island and couldn't purchase because of those laws. I no longer have those emails though.

But I don't think they're legal.

Edit:

Quote:
News Release: February 5, 2001
Department of Agriculture Investigates Three Separate Incidents of Illegal Lizards

Honolulu - Three separate incidents involving illegal lizards were reported over the weekend and are being investigated by the Hawaii Department of Agriculture.

In the first case, a Nile Monitor Lizard was voluntarily turned in over the weekend to the Honolulu Zoo under the amnesty program. The monitor lizard measures more than three feet and is currently being housed at the zoo. Monitor lizards are restricted from entering Hawaii.

Also on Oahu, an iguana was captured by a family in Waimanalo and reported to agricultural officials. The lizard measures about four-feet long and was running loose in a field when the family's dogs cornered the lizard. Agricultural Inspectors picked up the iguana this morning and it is being kept at the Plant Quarantine Station.

The third incident was reported on Kauai yesterday. The three-foot long iguana was apparently found loose and turned in to officials. The lizard is being transported to the Plant Quarantine Facility on Oahu.

Although iguanas are believed to established in Waimanalo on Oahu, it is illegal to possess or transport iguanas in Hawaii. Iguanas are not believed to be established in the wild on Kauai. Iguanas, when full grown, can reach up to six feet in length from head to toe. Its tail can be quite powerful, acting as a dangerous weapon in fending off enemies. Native to central Mexico through South America, iguanas are typically vegetarians, but are known to disturb bird nestlings and feed on eggs.

Persons possessing illegal animals are subject to stiff penalties, including fines of up to $200,000 and up to three years in jail. Individuals with illegal pets are encouraged to turn them in under the department's Amnesty Program. Anyone with information or knowledge of illegal animals in Hawaii is asked to call the department's PEST HOTLINE at 586-PEST(7378).
Yeah I'm guessing nothings changed since then. Sorry.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:55 AM   #10
creatism123
basically unless it is native to the island. or already istablished, as in the jacksons chamelean, it is illigal.

i spent 6 months there and had this discussion with the local spca/animal control officer.

thats one of the main reasons i am back in texas. that and my job fell through.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!