Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland laws with venomous species ?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 03-09-2004, 01:21 PM   #1
jock2geek
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland laws with venomous species ??

i'm interested in obtaining some venomous animals, Scorpions to be exact. any idea where i can get info on the legal issues pertaining to the ownership of lethally venomous scorpions ?

Virginia dept of game and inland fisheries does NOT have the info i need.

Old 04-06-2004, 12:49 AM   #2
thighz
not exactly sure what the laws in md are, but I do know that a shop near me sells them, which I know doesn't make it legal, but I'm willing to guess it is.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:28 AM   #3
Critterfarm
Re: Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland laws with venomous species ??

Quote:
Originally posted by jock2geek
i'm interested in obtaining some venomous animals, Scorpions to be exact. any idea where i can get info on the legal issues pertaining to the ownership of lethally venomous scorpions ?

Virginia dept of game and inland fisheries does NOT have the info i need.
AFAIK Virginia has no regulations on scorpions. The only posionous or venomous animals mentioned are reptiles. What types of scorps are you considering if I may ask?

Quote:
Regulation 4 VAC 15-30-40 states that a special permit is required and may be issued by the
Department, if consistent with the department's fish and wildlife management program, to import,
possess, or sell those non-native (exotic) animals that the board finds and declares to be predatory or
undesirable within the meaning and intent of Section 29.1-542 of the Code of Virginia, in that their
introduction into the Commonwealth will be detrimental to the native fish and wildlife resources of
Virginia.
It shall be unlawful for any person, or persons, to display, exhibit, handle or use any poisonous or
dangerous snake or reptile in such a manner as to endanger the life or health of any person under
authority of Section 18.2-313 of the Code of Virginia.
It shall be unlawful for the owner or keeper of any exotic reptile or type of reptile not native to the
Commonwealth of Virginia, including but not limited to the American alligator, to keep the reptile in
any manner that will permit its escape or to knowingly permit the reptile to run at large under authority
of Section 29.1-569 of the Code of Virginia.
The public should not be allowed to come into direct contact with any animals possessed under this
permit, or within close proximity of any animal possessed under this permit where a person's health and
safety could be potentially compromised.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!