herping in delaware - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
moghue
herping in delaware

Just wondering if anyone plans on herping in delaware this spring and summer, i think it would be fun to all meet up so we can make a fun day of herping. lol if that makes sense

Old 03-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
bisch7
I am new to the area, actually over in Fort Meade MD, and I am super stoked to get out this year to do some herping. I have never herped the east coast so I plan on to hit the fishing and herping scene pretty hard while I am out here.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
moghue
lol i have lived here in delaware for about 10 years and believe it or not i havent done any herping realy since i have been here and i have a big patch of woods right behind my house lol

Old 03-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
WebSlave
A guy I used to know was rather successful finding corn snakes and coastal plains milk snakes near Lewes Beach. Never did find any more specific locality data.

I once found a rather nice eastern king near Georgetown. Was doing some shooting and when walking out to check the target this little guy was just crawling along in the grass.

My brother in law once came to me and proudly proclaimed that he had just killed a copperhead. I asked him how he knew it was a copperhead. After thinking for a minute, he said "Well, it was just like the last copperhead I killed."

And I never could get an accurate description from him of this mythical beast he claimed was very common in Delaware called a "field viper". My description of a hognose snake didn't seem to fit what he thought he knew about.

You guys should head up into the Pine Barrens of New Jersey. That is really a fascinating place to kick around in.

http://www.herptrips.com/NJ/NJp2.htm

Old 03-30-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
bisch7
Yea my buddy and I would have that happen to us all the time, out in CA we would not be herping but out shooting in the desert and every single time we would always stumble across some speckled rattlers hanging out downrange. And as far as out here what I am REALLY out for are some MD Northern Pines, people tell me there is no chance I will ever see one but I am on a mission..have DNR on speed dial for when it does happen.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
WebSlave
Never really heard of anyone finding a pine snake in Maryland. I lived there most of my life. I've seen areas in Delaware that looked like potentially favorable habitat for pines, but haven't heard of anyone finding one there neither.

Pines are fairly common in the Pine Barrens, at least that was so back when I used to live in Maryland and run out there now and again. I also found my fair share of coastal plains milks in Jersey as well. Only found a couple of corn snakes there, but they were ugly as mud.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
bisch7
Yea, that is what I have been told mainly lol. But I will definitely check out these areas, I want to check off as many reptiles off my east coast list as possible before moving back to CA. A corn is a corn ugly as mud or not...would much rather prefer a jaw dropping one of course but as long as I can check it off the list. The first reptile I was able to check off the list when I first got out here in Aug 2013 was the smooth earth snake and a skink... those are the only herps I have seen so far.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #8
WebSlave
Done any herping down in St. Marys county yet? Used to find coastal plain milks down there with some regularity. Black rat snakes were very common in areas, so I'm surprised you haven't stumbled onto one of them yet.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #9
moghue
Most i have ever seen in delaware and that was right behind my house. I seen a few black snakes, toads, gray tree frogs, garter snakes. Hell we had a huge garter snake living under our house for a long time but i havent seen her for a year or so now. Im hoping to get out and find some very interseting stuff this spring and summer