How docile or mean can Retics be? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
tywarber
How docile or mean can Retics be?

I'v always loved the looks of Reticulated Pythons but just to scared of how big they can get and I said I'll never have a snake that big but now after saying that for years I think I'm almost ready for a retic... I think. I'm just curious what you guys have to say about them as far as being handle able or aggressive. I want to know from an experienced owner not from a website. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Utta
I have a few, best reptile I've ever kept. Mine arnt nippy at all. I have a bigger male, who's flighty but just puppy tame. Watch your body parts during feeding day tho. If you don't want the size, get a male, or any of the dwarfs. Seleyars are amazing but a little more nippy, just get a baby and get tagged till he knows your not a threat. If you need more info, or anything just PM me. I'm sure PythonJim will chime in, he knows his stuff too.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
Utta
On a side note, a full grown retic (normals, sulas etc) even a male, you'll need more then 1 person when they get larger. Just in case, you know?

Old 04-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
tywarber
Yeah I know I wouldn't want to handle a 16+ft snake myself. Plus a large snake that size I probably wouldn't even be able to hold it right and would hurt it and then end up getting bitten. But your right when a snakes gets as large as these do you better know someone els who likes them as much as you do that's around often. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
Kaiyudsai
I would definitely try to go see someones collection who keeps some full grown retics before getting one..... That's the only way to really get a good grasp of what it's like to work with one.... I kept them for years... and finally got tired of the hassle they require.... They are amazing animals... very intelligent... very beautiful... but it takes a special kind of person to own one..... and a great deal of resources to house and feed them properly.... they require more cage maitainence than most snakes.... Im not trying to turn you away from them..... just get a good idea of what you're in for before you buy....

It's alot of work moving around 180# snakes when it comes to cage cleaning time.... and retics I've had in the past all had their own quirks.... Like stated in the earlier post... they have a very intense feeding response.... and you have to be very careful with them....

Hope that helps

Old 04-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
tywarber
That does help Thank you that's something I will definitely consider before buying one. I wish I knew someone around my area that has a full grown. Right now I'm just at the stage of being comfortable with a larger constrictor I'm not at the point of buying because financially I don't have the funds. but I'm definitely considering it in my near future.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
tywarber
Hey Kaiyudsai I just noticed you live in Lafayette LA I just moved from there not to long ago man I wish I was still there! That city is awsome

Old 04-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #8
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by tywarber View Post
Yeah I know I wouldn't want to handle a 16+ft snake myself. Plus a large snake that size I probably wouldn't even be able to hold it right and would hurt it and then end up getting bitten. But your right when a snakes gets as large as these do you better know someone els who likes them as much as you do that's around often. Thanks.
Try a dwarf. Or a super dwarf. males or females don't get that big. My local breeders male dwarf is 9ft 20 or so lbs. That's just a dwarf.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
dturner100
Retics in general have gotten a bad name from past years of imports. None of my retics are in any way mean. They DO have a STRONG feeding response which mixed with some carelessness has gotten me a few bites, but other than that my captive bred retics are puppies.

No when I was 16 I bought a wild caught retic baby who from the very start was nasty. I opened the bag at the pet shop ( who shouldn't have sold to me at that age ) and got bit 3 times before I left the pet shop. After a couple years he became tolerant to myself, but nobody else. He also broke through his screen lid one night and ate my mothers ferret ( I wasn't to sad about the loss of her ferret... ).

So basically if you raise a young retic they're typically very docile enjoyable pets.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
tywarber
thanks everyone that helps me alot and I think I might start off with a dwarf just because you still can get all the cool colors an patterns and dwarfs are alot easier to house than the real Retics that get Ginormous. Really I'm just very comfortable with my 8ft boas and I wouldn't mind a little bit larger snake to have. Thanks again,
Brock.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!