Natural occurring intergrade - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-26-2005, 01:30 AM   #1
SCReptiles
Natural occurring intergrade

This one was found over in Jackson County, AL. It has the head some color of the black/grey rat snake, but the montly back pattern of a corn snake. Also there is visible red mixed in the grey on the sides and back. I believe this to be a rat corn cross. It was collected from the wild two weeks ago. It dropped 11 eggs. Looking forward to seeing the babies, the father could have been a rat or a corn…we have no way to know. I have her in my collection now and looking forward to seeing her after a shed. I think the red will show thru even more after a captive shed.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
paulh
Maybe, and maybe not. I have seen some red coloration on black rat snakes from Iowa, where there are no corn snakes to breed with. And the pictures of the snake do not show as much red as I saw on a Texas rat x corn cross.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
old guy
Not sure if I'm understanding post

is it you think it is a natural occurring inter grade ? As Paul could tell you ( I think I have it right ) one of the most natural occurring inter grades has got to be the milk snake. There is some weird rat snake making its presence around the south KC area of Missouri. Could be a inter grade of Black Rat and Emory rat snake. I have seen 4 in the past 12 years. Does anybody know about this. It looks almost like the picture above but also looks to have some slight Lindheimeri to it. AND for the fact that the species that I have seen that was collected came form a swath of more than 60 miles apart........could just be one nasty looking Emoryi though even though they are there but in over 40 years of looking for, I have never found great plains rats in Mo. compared to hundreds in Kansas and so many in west Texas.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!