Breeder female loan. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Kuro_Yamaneko
Breeder female loan.

Hi all, I live in Fort Erie, Ontario. and I'm trying to get started as a breeder. my only problem being my lack of funds. So I am looking for someone that might be willing to help me with a breeding loan for this year. The only thing that I can offer right now, is to split the clutch, and I would hope for a Spider, or other dominant morph female. I have 2 nice looking normal males, but to me they look like dinkers. They both have a weird pattern across their belly scales that most normals don't have.
Thanks for your time.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Kuro_Yamaneko
b u m p

Old 07-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
dustinNMpythons
I doubt you will find anyone willing to give you a thousand plus dollar snake so you can breed a $50 snake to it. If your trying to get into breeding look into getting a normal female to start off either that or buy a baby pastel female and raise it up to breed. You say you have a lack of funds so how are you going to afford an incubator and everything needed for the husbandry on the snakes? With you being new to fauna and no references your not going to find anyone willing to hand over female breeder size morphs. Look around on fauna, theres people on here who have females for a reasonable price. and Normal females you can get for like $100

Old 07-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Kuro_Yamaneko
I apologize for not mentioning access to an incubator. I figured that would be implied. As for husbandry, I do have extra set ups to put her in. And I ask for Dom/Co-dom morphs because that way, at least half of the clutch would be a morph, even though the sire is a normal. making the clutch more profitable to both parties. But I would be fine with a normal female. As long as I get at least two females in my half of the clutch, I would be fine.
Now, As for you saying that I don't have a reputation, how is a new breeder supposed to gain reputation if no one will even attempt to deal with me. Because I have no females, I have no babies to sell, so no reputation. I would ensure that whoever loans me their female would have all the info they need, and I would want to meet in person.
I'm trying to get a female soon, so I can get her in and out of quarantine as quickly as possible to start breeding early in the season.

The main reason that I can't do my shopping for females here, is that even with good prices, I'm Canadian and no one seems to ship to Canada. I have yet to find a Canadian add.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
jasbus
No disrespect, please don't take it that way.

Why would I "loan" a high dollar snake to someone to breed for half a clutch? Especially co-dom where half of the clutch is pretty much worthless anyway?

Breedable males are a dime a dozen. If you want to "borrow" a breeder snake, it needs to be beneficial for both parties.... ie, you need to have a fairly decent female, needing to borrow a morph male for the breeding...

Like I said, no disrespect, please don't take it that way.

Look at it this way. I loan you a breedable female spider. $60 to ship her to you, $60 to ship her back to me. I'm out $120 right off the bat. I can buy a breeder male off the street for $50 and that's expensive!!!
So, you get a clutch of 6, 3 spiders, 3 normals. The normals you'll get $15/piece, $45
The spiders, maybe $150/piece if you get lucky. So, we're at $400 for a clutch, minus $120 shipping. $280/2 is $140 a piece profit, no including feeding, care, etc.

OR......
I can keep my spider female, breed her to a cheap male for $50, sell the offspring, no shipping out of my pocket, and make myself $400.

What's your address?

Old 07-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
dustinNMpythons
Sorry sounds like you have a dilema. I'm just saying that if someone has adult female morphs then typically they have the money to get a morph male to go with it. I hope you find what your looking for. Do you have a local pet shop that might sell ball python females? maybe try there. It might take a while for them to get breeder size but thats how you have to start out. I've been raising some up for 3 years and now I finally get a chance to breed this fall. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
Kuro_Yamaneko
None taken,
I guess snakes are less valuable in the states, a 2010 male spider in canada is going around $250. Though, I'll admit, 2010 male normals are going for around $50. females go for $150. So in Canada, your scenario would turn out a profit of about $900, for all males.
I suppose I could make this a "borrow the snake, sell the offspring here and split the profit"
deal, but I'm almost positive that wouldn't work.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
dustinNMpythons
Any way you look at it if someone has a female morph of breeder size, its pointless to throw a normal at it when you can buy most single morph males for 100-200 dollars and then get two gene morphs that are worth a whole lot more.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
dustinNMpythons
If you think you have dinker males try and get a normal female and prove them out. That wouldn't really cost you that much.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
jasbus
Good luck, maybe you can find someone local who will work with you.
It's not cheap getting started by any means, no matter where you live...
I own a pet store, and 3 years in, I'm still not able to afford the snakes I "want" to breed.
And, I've found over and over, especially on normals, it's way cheaper to buy them than to breed them...

Good luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!