Bad Guy Ted F Cook II - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Terrapin Hedgehogs
Ted F Cook II

I won an auction for a 1. ghost and a .1 poss het ghost (both adults) from Ted. After the conclusion of the auction, he offered me two large female normals for breeding. I agreed, he said the larger one was proven, and the smaller one was virgin. When the snakes all arrived, I unpacked them, set them in their cages and let them be for a bit. A couple days later, I went to inspect them and quickly realized that the larger female had huge scars running up her belly to her vent, which was also compromised. I inquired, being new, and he said 'oh yeah, she was like that' and dismissed it.
I have since discovered that she is NOT breedable, and that the smaller one is a MALE. I contacted Ted to discuss correcting this, but he has not gotten back to me. I also have found out that likely the ghost is NOT a ghost at all.
Makes it VERY hard to start off on the right foot with a breeder who is so obviously unethical and who would sell off wrong sexed/unbreedable animals without a thought.
To be clear, I have not given him weeks to reply to me - but since he was always so quick, and I have been nothing but polite and reasonable - and feel silence speaks VOLUMES!

Old 02-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin Hedgehogs View Post
I have since discovered that she is NOT breedable, and that the smaller one is a MALE. I contacted Ted to discuss correcting this, but he has not gotten back to me. I also have found out that likely the ghost is NOT a ghost at all.
How did you find that she was not breedable? Was it because of all the scarring? Did he say at all what could have caused that? Have you let him know of this thread?

Old 02-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
HighVoltageRoyals
Please post pictures of the snakes and the scarred belly in question and also all emails and correspondence between you and Ted (especially the emails after you had noticed problems). Thanks!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Terrapin Hedgehogs
He is no longer replying to my emails. He said (via fb) 'oh yeah, that was from before I had her, he had her on a heat rock' - talked to a number of breeders, and my herp vet - all cautioned against breeding. He did not disclose this at all prior to me mentioning it. As for the male, well, a male is a male. Trying to attach photos, I'll at least link to the online album.
https://picasaweb.google.com/Stasi.K...eat=directlink

Old 02-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Imperial Reptiles
I have sold to Ted before and he seemed like a good guy. And I believe this thread was made a bit early..like most bad guy threads are..

How did you come up with the conclusion she is not capable of breeidng? What does a scar have to do with breeding? Snakes are reptiles not fragile puppies. The scar looks all healed up and I think she should breed just fine. Should he have made you aware of the scar before? YES. But he didn't, not much to say about that, but he should have told you prior to you buying her.

Next, did you sex the other "female" snake to confirm it male? Can you post pictures of hemipenes?

And as for the Ghost in your album...sure does look like a Ghost to me... anybody else?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Terrapin Hedgehogs
glad it looks like a ghost, I didn't really complain about that, nor ask for any money refunded. As for the male confirmation - vet probed, then locked with a confirmed female. As for breeding the other, vet also stated (I guess I'll go back and get it in writing!) that he would NOT encourage breeding her with her scarring and vent messed up (and healed) like that.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Lucille
Quote:
glad it looks like a ghost, I didn't really complain about that, nor ask for any money refunded. As for the male confirmation - vet probed, then locked with a confirmed female. As for breeding the other, vet also stated (I guess I'll go back and get it in writing!) that he would NOT encourage breeding her with her scarring and vent messed up (and healed) like that.
Why are critters locking when they should be quarantining? Or did you get these critters some time ago?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Imperial Reptiles
Quote:
I read you were new to ball pythons, are you sure what you saw was a lock and not just two snakes wrapped around each other? As for your vet probing it, even vets can make mistakes, what if he pushed down to much on the "female" while probing????

post a picture of a confirmed lock and/or hemipenes, then you can show Ted that he did send you a male and not a female. Because without that, its a toss up really.

As for the scarred female, I'm sure she will breed just fine. These animals in the wild breed with all sorts of scars and defects.

I really hope this "speed bump" doesn't impede with your interest in ball pythons. And I really hope that "female" really is a female and not a male.

Maybe if Ted comes on here he can give you some more information, and you guys can settle this out.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
farfrumugen
i informed ted of this thread. ive never bought from him but we have met at shows and seems like he knows what he is talking about. hopefully this can get sorted out in a productive manner
adam jeffery

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!