Baby boa with prolapsed hemipene-not sure what to do - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-02-2005, 10:33 PM   #1
DavidButton
Baby boa with prolapsed hemipene-not sure what to do

Well during my health check this evening my son stated that something pink was hanging out of one of the boas. On closer inspection it became apparent that he had a prolapsed hemipine. Is there anything that I can do myself to help him or is this a vet only affair? It is too late this evening to do a vet visit, but my herp vet is 15 minutes away first thing in the morning. Any suggestions?

David
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2005, 11:06 PM   #2
Karen Hulvey
Soak him in warm brown sugar water for about 10 minutes and then place him on newspaper substrate. Do it again in a couple of hours if the hemipenes are still prolapsed. I've used this method on a couple of leos and a baby BCI.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:10 PM   #3
connorrm
I would also coat the hemipene with a lubricant like vaseline it will help protect it if it doesn't go back in and keep it from drying out...hope this helps

Old 01-02-2005, 11:55 PM   #4
robin d.
if you want to use some sorta ointment use preperation H... it shrinks the swelling... i would try the sugar water first (keep in mine it needs to have ALOT of sugar in it to help the prolapse... almost kinda thick water)... or if you have some karo syrup try dabbing that on with a cottom ball or q-tip... try these first before resulting to the preperation H..... soak him for about twent minutes. take him out examine him and put him on white paper towels that are moist... it is impartant to keep the area most until the prolapse completely retracts, if you do not the tissue can get necrotic. it does not look like that bad of a prolapse but just incase i added some extra info

Old 01-03-2005, 12:10 AM   #5
DavidButton
Thanks everyone, he is soaking as I type. he had been in there for 20 minutes already, but I don't think I had enough sugar so I added some more and put him back in for a little more soaking. I will put him on something moist afterwards and see how he looks.

David

Old 01-03-2005, 12:55 AM   #6
Karen Hulvey
Sorry, I was pretty vague in my post.
Robin is right, do what she says.

Old 01-03-2005, 04:52 AM   #7
Mike Greathouse
Rather then trying to mix a concoction of sugar water, you can simply use honey. It will keep the tissue moist and also has natural inflamation reducing properties.

The prolapse doesn't look too severe at this point and may correct itself with this treatment. If not, a visit to a qualified vet is in order.

Good luck.

Old 01-04-2005, 12:54 PM   #8
DavidButton
Ok, after an hour or so last night of trying to hold a very slippery 15" baby boa and push the hemipene back in gently with the lubricated tip of an unfuzzed Q-tip I finally got them back in. I have no suture needles etc. so I will just have to wait and see if they pop back out or stay in. I figure if they stay in he will be ok. Otherwise I will take him to the Doc for a stitch. It sucks always having to do everything by myself with them, but that is my fate I guess.

David

Old 01-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #9
Mike Greathouse
Follow Up

How's the little one doing?

Old 01-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #10
DavidButton
So far so good. After I tucked everything back I checked him about every hour for the next 24 and after a while the lumps also went away indicating to me that the swelling had subsided. And now after 4 days of no problems I still check him 2-3 times a day, but so far everything looks fine. I will know better after he a has eaten and pooped. I figure if they are going to pop out again it would be while he poops so I will be watching closely at that time. But on a lighter note, the other 27 babies are all doing great too and are getting ready to shed for the first timeand then it will be pinkie rat time. Have a good one.

David

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!