Pacman Frog Not Eating. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:25 PM   #1
CurtisF
Exclamation Pacman Frog Not Eating.

A person I know is having trouble with her baby pacman toad. She got him November 14th, his substrate is 85 in the day and 83 at night. The toad itself is orange/yellow with red eyes and it's sides are kinda turning green. It is in a 3.5 gallon but she will be upgrading to a 10 gal when he gets bigger. I don't know personally much about Pacmans. I know it is normal for them to go extended periods of time without food. He is not plastic-wrap looking at all. I suggested to keep offering once a week until we figure something out. Here are some pictures:

Old 12-16-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
techgirl
a little guy like that should be getting fed alot more than once a week. What is she feeding it? How is the humdity in the tank? Is she dusting the food? Is the water dechlorinated that the frog is in?

Old 12-16-2006, 10:30 AM   #3
reptiler ron
Curtis Try feedind it in a deli cup.Its a baby so try feeder fish.Pac-man frogs don't rome to find food they wait for the food to come to them.Also as Jessica asked what are you trying to feed it?Try different foods for it,feeder fish crickets pink mice. I ve never seen a pm frog that would not eat. Good Luck R.R.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
CurtisF
I gave her these questions and this is what she said:

"The tank is very humid don't know like exact percents, I try to feed him crickets but he doesn't always eat them... but i did get him to eat a pinky last night (i know not the greatest food)... I don't know what to dust with... and I use bottled water and but will be switching to tap water that will be dechlorinated. I cant find any feeder fish that are small enough for him to eat... but will keep looking. I moved him into the tub and now the temps are like 65 so i want to shoot for at least 70."

I also told her to try using a ziplock or other small containers.

Thanks everyone, more suggestions on anything would be awesome

Old 12-17-2006, 05:30 PM   #5
reptiler ron
Curtis,IMO pinky mice is a great food.Why else would I feed them to my snakes and geckos. R.R.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #6
CurtisF
I've personally been under the impression from many people that pinkies are not good for leos due to the high fat. The high fats can cause fatty liver disease in the long run, and geckos are naturally insectavors. Though, it is okay as an occasional treat for an adult leopard gecko and breeder females. Other than that gecko, I really don't know much, so you could be correct since you only said geckos. What geckos are you talking about?

Same story for pac man toads, I believe. They are a good treat for once or twice a month, though.
------------------------------------

UPDATE: She moved him in to a bigger tank, and he ate a bunch. Weird, but oh well, it works! Thanks everyone.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:03 AM   #7
Red-Eye
Pinkies should be fed sparingly to larger amphibs that will accept them. They are very high in fat and the amphibs would become obese very quickly if fed on a strictly pinkie diet. Try some variety, its' the best diet you can give your frog. At that size I would say Crickets, Silkworms, Eartworms, Waxworms, etc....
I think a Pinkie/month is a fairly nice treat for them.

Red-Eye

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!