New Jersey state law issues - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
XoVictoryXo
NJ banned the axolotl, which I have been wanting as a pet for such a long time why NJ!!??

Old 03-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #12
dragonfly_dust
Quote:
Originally Posted by XoVictoryXo View Post
NJ banned the axolotl, which I have been wanting as a pet for such a long time why NJ!!??
Ummm...Axolotl have been banned for a while now. It says it quite clearly in the NJ pet shop application form from Fish and Wildlife: http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/xotic_petshop_app.pdf

Granted this information on bans of specific species should be available on exotic hobby permit forms as well but that's not the point. According to Fish and Wildlife, they banned the axolotl and other similar amphibians due to fear that they may interbreed with local native species like the eastern tiger salamander.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
XoVictoryXo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly_dust View Post
Ummm...Axolotl have been banned for a while now. It says it quite clearly in the NJ pet shop application form from Fish and Wildlife: http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/xotic_petshop_app.pdf

Granted this information on bans of specific species should be available on exotic hobby permit forms as well but that's not the point. According to Fish and Wildlife, they banned the axolotl and other similar amphibians due to fear that they may interbreed with local native species like the eastern tiger salamander.
Sorry if it seems I was speaking in present tense, I am fully aware it has been quite some time that they banned them.
I was just ranting about it in general, because I want to own one so bad! And I think their reasoning behind the ban is RIDICULOUS.
I think this was the right place to do vent about that? correct me if I am wrong!

Old 10-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #14
mom_of_bananachip
Questions on New Jersey

Hi:

I'm a reptile hobbyist living in NYS, and I'm also a science teacher in NYS.

I do some professional development in New Jersey with some teachers. One idea was that I can bring in some of my reptiles for show to middle school classrooms in their ecology and animal units. Its strictly for show and tell, no experimentation.

I assume that I would need a permit?

I will contact NJDEP this week, but wondered if anyone here can give me some insider info.

Annie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!