More legislation in PA - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #31
Le Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharrah View Post
I know a lot of people who think the world will end in December. Doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

I am fairly confident in two things. The law you are referring to will pass, and dogs and cats are safe. I think your interpretation is wrong, but lets just wait and see shall we? Lets!

.........make that three things. I will still be here after December.
I dont think they will enforce it on the dog cat part but that is what it reads and you simply cant argue that. Cats and dogs are noniningenous. Neither dogs nor cats are listed in exempt species. Ergo if the law passes they will be banned. Will they enforce it? Probably not, but it would be the law, plain and simple. Please if you think im that wrong, point out where my mistake is. I pointed to where is supports me, show me where it supports you. Instead of resorting to "its rediculous" use the very law I posted a show me how im wrong. Show me were it says cats or dogs are exempt in some way. Is there native dogs and cats I dont know about? Are they in the exempt species under a name I missed?

Old 04-04-2012, 04:56 AM   #32
bsharrah
Show me where the proposed amendment, or the law it is trying to amend, considers dog and cats "wildlife". You, and apparently those you know, are over thinking the wording of the proposed amendment.

I am done here. You obviously think you can't be wrong and your "ridiculous" interpretation can't be argued, so what is the point in continuing this back and forth?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #33
Le Plat
I have shown you repeatedly, but Ill try one last time to get you to understand. This is copied directly from the bill, found here-->
http://e-lobbyist.com/gaits/text/549454

Exotic wildlife." The phrase includes[, but is not limited
to, all bears, coyotes, lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars,
cheetahs, cougars, wolves and any crossbreed of these animals
which have similar characteristics in appearance or features.

The definition is applicable whether or not the birds or animals
were bred or reared in captivity or imported from another state
or nation.] all nonindigenous animals and the following,
regardless of whether the animals are bred or reared in
captivity or imported from another state or nation:
(1) All members of the order Primates (nonhuman
primates).
(2) All members of the family Ursidae (bears).
(3) All members of the species:
(i) Canis latrans (coyotes).
(ii) Canis lupus (gray wolves).
(iii) Canis rufus (red wolves).
(iv) Felis rufus (bobcat).
(v) Panthera leo (lions).
(vi) Panthera tigris (tigers).
(vii) Panthera pardus (leopards).
(viii) Panthera unica (snow leopards).
(ix) Neofelis nebulosa (clouded leopard).
(x) Panthera onca (jaguars).
(xi) Acinonyx jubatus (cheetahs).
(xii) Felis concolor (cougars).
(xiii) Any crossbreed of the animals specified in
this paragraph which have similar characteristics in
appearance or features.
The term shall not be construed to include any member of the
class Aves (birds), any member of the families Equidae (horses,
asses and zebras), Camelidae (camels, alpacas and llamas),
Cervidae (deer, moose and elk), Bovidae (wild cattle and spiral-
horned antelopes), Muridae (rats and mice), Chinchillidae
(chinchillas and viscachas), Leporidae (rabbits and hares),
20110HB1398PN2997
- 2 -

Erinaceidae (hedgehogs and moonrats), Petauridae (gliders and
striped possums) or any member of the species Mustela furo
(domestic ferrets) or Cavia porcellus (domestic guinea pigs).

In red is the part that applys. As you can see it says that all nonidingenous animals are considered exotic wildlife. In green you see the species that the law says are exempt. It takes the time to list cattle and horses but not cat nor dogs. Again, as they are not included in the list of exempt species and cats and dogs are nonindingenous animals, therefor they fall into that category in which the law says they are exotic wildlife.

The text is right in front of you. How can you argue it?? Its spelled out. Im sorry if you dont understand but its what the law says.

You obviously can't back up your argument of I'm wrong and just storm off. I will ask yet again, if you are that sure that I am wrong, point out the flaws in my argument. The law is right in front of you, show me where and how Im wrong and I am more than man enough to admit my mistake.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #34
scaledverts
Perhaps if you were reading the most up-to-date version of the bill you would see that your interpretation is wrong.

http://e-lobbyist.com/gaits/text/620164

Quote:
The term shall not be construed to include any member of the
class Aves (birds), any member of the families Equidae (horses,
asses and zebras), Camelidae (camels, alpacas and llamas),
Cervidae (deer, moose and elk), Bovidae (wild cattle and spiral-
horned antelopes), Muridae (rats and mice), Chinchillidae
(chinchillas and viscachas), Leporidae (rabbits and hares),
20110HB1398PN3296
- 2 -

Erinaceidae (hedgehogs and moonrats), Petauridae (gliders and
striped possums) or any member of the species Mustela furo
(domestic ferrets) or Cavia porcellus (domestic guinea pigs) OR
<--
ANY "DOMESTIC ANIMAL" AS THAT TERM IS DEFINED IN 18 PA.C.S. § 55511 (RELATING TO CRUELTY TO ANIMALS).
Pulled from 18 PA.C.S. § 55511

Quote:
"DOMESTIC ANIMAL." Any dog, cat, equine animal, bovine animal, sheep, goat or porcine animal. "DOMESTIC FOWL." Any avis raised for food, hobby or sport.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #35
Le Plat
Did not know they finally updated it. Ty for the correction.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #36
edf01
ok- so i am completly confused- is it the permit speil or a ban ( since after some date no more permits will be given out? I am reading all this info, and its confusing- where is it saying after certian date no ermits will be given out?

would it be 25 per animal or what?

Old 04-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #37
nicks075
Quote:
Originally Posted by edf01 View Post
ok- so i am completly confused- is it the permit speil or a ban ( since after some date no more permits will be given out? I am reading all this info, and its confusing- where is it saying after certian date no ermits will be given out?

As far as I understand I seen nothing where it said no permits will be givin out so if I'm wrong someone please correct me. It would be nice to have this clearly explained. I'm guessing they just want more tax money, is sounds like 25 per animal, not sure what constitutes a dealer for the 250 fee, maybe you will need a tax id number to pay that. My biggest concern is if they will have people actually come to your house to inspect your collection before giving a permit. I hope it's just send the 25$ per animal per year and get on with your life. As bad as that would suck maybe the extra tax income the state gets will make them second guess any bans that might consider in the future.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #38
edf01
after I posted i did see a paragraph that did sound kinda confusing:

(1) Commencing on January 1, 2012 2013, the commission

shall not issue permits for the possession of exotic
wildlife, except as set forth in sections 2930 (relating to
propagating permits), 2962 (relating to exotic wildlife
dealer permits) and 2964(a) (relating to menagerie permits)

20110HB1398PN2997

- 3 -
nd 58 Pa. Code § 147.302 (relating to general).

However- 25$ per animal is rediculous- i have a breeding collection- so its gonna be expensive. And for what reason? i guess they have to suck what money they can get b/c they are having money issues..

Yeah, them looking at my place has its drawbacks.. but its not like I have anything to hide... My snakes are housed properly- but how can I trust the people inspecting know proper knowledge? Are rack systems gonna be considered secure by them? Or are they gonna think its inhumane that the bps are kept in the racks despite the issues keeping in tanks? how often do they have to check your place?

t just draws up too many questions.... Is there any talk of when this is gonna be set in place? Any word from USARK?

Old 04-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #39
Le Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by edf01 View Post

The no permits comment was for furry animals not herps. Sorry for the confusion. Im under the impression that its $25 per animal but could be wrong. For my caiman den alone that at one point in time would have been $475 yearly. and where does it list whats acceptable for caging?

Old 04-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #40
nicks075
I'm pretty sure the bill that will not allow permits after jan 2013 is HB 1398, I believe and hope this is just for large exotics such as lions tigers and such, I don't see anything in that bill mentioning reptiles specifically. There a bll HB 2233 that is specifically for reptile that state that a 25$ fee per animal will be needed for a permit, it makes no mention that they will not be issued after jan 2013 but states that that's when the law will implemented.

It seems that reptile keepers are safe for now, I hope this is the case anyway, I'll take a tax over a ban.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!