WARNING!! Caution buying from Alanna Cohen-olsen AKA SnakeMami - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors »  Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Want to help support this site? Click here.

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Miscellaneous > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® Standard rules for the reptile and amphibian BOI apply here as well.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
Benjamin Larner
Exclamation WARNING!! Caution buying from Alanna Cohen-olsen AKA SnakeMami

I have had Previous dealings with this person. I have to say they have been none to pleasant. I have also had friends who have had transactions with her, and they are all very upset. The care of her animals are horrible snakes are consistently dirty. She has had several mite outbreaks. Trouble with FWC over illegal dealings. On top of all that stole my snake rack which she now has for sale. The snake rack is a Sentec 10 tub rack which Includes 10 grey ARS tubs. Which I bought From Jeremy from Fireball reptiles, (a great guy). I would for your safety and the safety of your animals stay away from this woman.

There is much more wrong she has done, too much to post.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #2
deborahbroadus
Please post your evidence, it will make your warning much more effective.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
creativecorns
I too have had experience with this woman and was very surprised by the lack of respect she has for her animals. I Would never ever buy anything from her because it is all about the money and not the animals.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
Focal
Come on. Y'all need to bring something better than that. Is it the treasurer of this place?

http://www.northfloridaherpsociety.com/

Treasurer: Alanna Cohen-Olsen
treasurer@northfloridaherpsociety.com

Did you even let her know about this thread?

Old 01-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
snakemami
They can't and won't post any evidence because there is none. Ben and Arisa shame on you for this post. So, since neither of you told me about this post, I will reply with my side of the story.

Ben and Arisa moved to North Florida in February 2010 and were roommates with a person I knew from the herp society. In April they were asked to leave their previous residence and I foolishly made the mistake of trying to help them out by letting them move in with me. I was nice about writing up a lease and instead of them paying me cash for rent (because at the time neither of them had a job) I let them stay for a maximum of 3 months in exchange for some simple handy work around the house. I came home from my honeymoon cruise in June with my husband and my children and found that nothing had been done, so based on the terms of the lease, I asked them to leave. Since they didn't do the work, or pay for their portion of the food, I asked Arisa to leave the rack here as a part of the compensation. She agreed. They moved out in June 2010, with no forwarding address. When they moved out, I opened the house up three different times for them to come and get all of their things. The last time they were here to load stuff up they said they took everything. I have heard nothing of them since that day in June 2010.

Fast forward from June 2010 to January 2011. 2 days ago Ben has the police come to my house to ask about his snake rack. I said I still had it and explained the situation. They told me it was mine since he left it here for so long, and I could do what I want with it. But to send 3 police officers to my house over a snake rack, come on... seriously? Ben, you and Arisa left it here in exchange for the money you both agreed that you owed me.

Anyone who has ever bought snakes from me knows I care deeply for my animals, and their quality and safety always comes first. Ben, nor Arisa have ever had any friends deal with me, as I have never sold any snakes to their friends. My collection is clean and always has been. The mites Ben speaks of came in with his collection when he moved in. However, my care is top notch and I would invite anyone in to my house to see my animals as proof. Find one person who has ever bought an animal from me that isn't happy...On top of all that, if it were all about the money, why would I constantly donate animals to the herp society to raise money for the group? Why would I give snakes away to kids who are looking to start a reptile collection?

The FWC incident that Ben speaks of is one where I was never in trouble. It starts with Ben calling FWC on his old roommate over the care of his animals, because Ben was upset over the fact that his old roommate threatened a civil suit for money owed (see the common theme). So Ben called FWC, reported the old roommate, and when that occured his old roommate advised of a situation with me. Basically my husband brought home an albino ball python as a surprise(mind you my husband at the time knew nothing about snakes) and what he brought home was an albino burm. It was small so not too hard to someone with no clue to make the misstake. Knowing it was illegal to own these in FL without the proper permit, I gave the snake to someone from the herp society who said he had all the permits (Ben's old roommate) and then sold him some rats, caging etc. He wrote me a check and on the bottom of the check wrote Burm and stuff. I deposited the check without thinking about the bottom and that was the end of it until FWC inquired. I told them exactly what happened and was cleared on any wrong doing.

Ben I would love to know how I "Stole" your snake rack? It's been at my house as payment for the money you owed me and we called it even, though your snake rack certainly doesn't equal the damage you did to my house, the money for the food for 2 months you ate, and for the work you never did in exchange for compensation of the terms of the lease.

I welcome your proof and if you can provide me with the proof that you did the work as agreed to in the lease, and you paid me the money for the food, electricity, cable and internet you used for the time you lived here, and that you paid for the damage you did, I will happily give you back the snake rack that Arisa said you were giving to me in exchange for the money you owed me.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
snakemansnakes
Guys....Really???

This woman opens her home to you, gives you a place to stay, and you do this.
You were given a place to stay rent free, no utility bills,free cable,free internet,etc. This was all started because you left a snake rack at her home after you guys left and somehow a good portion of her ball python clutches that were due to hatch while she was on vacation from june 18th to june 27th came up missing. As well as some snakes that you were asked to watch over and take care of while she was gone. You were given a free place to stay and all you had to do were complete 3 tasks around the house which you never did!
She is a great herp keeper and is a kind hearted woman who will OBVIOUSLY open her heart and home to anyone in need. Next time you pull this it will probably be someone who will not take it so lightly.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
snakemansnakes
Also if you wanna stir stuff up where are the permits for the venomous you are keeping?

December 18, 2010 at 12:19am · See Friendship

o
Ben Larner heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
December 18, 2010 at 9:37am
o
Lance Paden How are those rattlers doing? Tell arisa to take some new pics!
December 18, 2010 at 4:41pm
o
Ben Larner they are doing great! so is our copper head... Ill get some updates ASAP
December 18, 2010 at 5:14pm

Old 01-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
LHGREPTILES
I have purchased at least 5 snakes from this woman and all of them are exceptional quality animals. Her facility is in impeccable condition and I will continue to do business with her and urge others to do the same. The comments posted about her, sounds like they have a personal vendetta against her and have nothing to do with her ability to provide a high quality animals.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
Paul Edwards
Alanna - Good Person, Good animals, Bad "friends"

Hi all,
I have a cage building company and I have dealt with Alanna 2 times so far. I sold her a custom made rack earlier in 2010, and I have sold her 3 more racks since then that will be delivered later this month. These are not el cheapo racks either...anyone that knows me knows my stuff is not cheap; she is spending a nice chunk of change on her facilities and that tells me a lot...she cares about her animals, how they are kept, and her overall success with animals. Smart people do this, and Alanna is a smart person. I have personally been to her house to deliver racks and have inspected her collection. I'm a facilities guy, and I am all about state of the art herp keeping. Being a herper for more than 40 years, not too much gets by me...my antenna are always up for good herp keeping in a collection, or bad herp keeping in a collection - hard to explain, but you know it when you see it. Her facilities weren't the best as is the case with most herpers...she had a cross between racks of various made by various manufacturers and home made stuff. Her facilities are state of the art now I can assure you! I can also assure you that Alanna's collection and husbandry practices are top notch, no question. Every animal I saw while I was there was absolute top quality, in the peak of health, VERY well fed, and no mites...if there were, they would have been at my house after wards because I handled several animals while I was there - animals I wouldn't have minded bringing home myself!
I'd also like to point out that this situation is from someone who was given access to her home, and access to her collection and trust was given to them to perform certain duties while she was away. They failed her and it cost her dearly...animals gone, animals dead, etc. She was acting out of the goodness of her heart and this is what she gets! I'd say you better beware of the original poster to this... NOT Alanna. This is simply another case of someone abusing the BOI and using it to post lies about someone. It happens all the time...don't believe everything you read on here!
Paul Edwards
ProTek Caging Systems

Old 01-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemami View Post

Ben and Arisa moved to North Florida in February 2010.
And in March, they were inquiring about buying $500 turtles, so they must have had money:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...hp?t=162369nud in J

And in July they were selling all sorts of snakes
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=188326

yet all they had to offer you for your generous hospitality is a hard time. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!