Caging question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
Szynk54
Caging question

I know a lot of people say it's not good an I've seen some people say it can be done. I have two 2018 boas a male and a female. Is there anyway I could house them in a 4x2 animal plastic enclosure until they got bigger and I could afford the second enclosure? If the cage had lots of hides and stuff going on it to keep them secure?

Old 06-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
bcr229
No. If one gets sick then they both will, and that means two vet bills. They will also compete for resources (heat) and if you feed them both in the same enclosure you risk cannibalism.

You can put together another snake home fairly inexpensively using a Hefty 100-quart latchbox plastic tote - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hefty-25-Ga...Lid/1000505547 - with a UTH and thermostat. I like this tub in particular since it has a lid latch on all four sides, which decreases the chance of a snake pushing its way out of it and escaping.

This size tote should last at least a year, maybe longer for the male.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:07 AM   #3
LauraB
That's good advice, Kevin. Melinda knows her stuff

Old 06-05-2019, 04:52 AM   #4
Szynk54
Alright thanks

Old 06-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #5
elena
You could put a divider in the enclosure. That would split the cage into two 2'x2' enclosures, perfect size for your young boas. Many cage manufacturers sell dividers for their cages, including some that are removable once the snakes matures. Try contacting the manufacturer of your enclosure and see what they say.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #6
Szynk54
I have thought of that but there is the cost of the divider (which isn't a great amount) but then I'd need two small heat panels that wouldn't be usable when I took the divider out so I'm stuck with two panels that pry wouldn't sell ...

Old 06-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #7
Socratic Monologue
Not necessarily.

Used heat panels sell easily, for one thing.

Also, there's no reason a person couldn't, in the final layout, use two smaller panels mounted next to each other, either run off the same thermostat channel or on two separate channels for redundancy (in case a probe gets shifted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szynk54 View Post
I have thought of that but there is the cost of the divider (which isn't a great amount) but then I'd need two small heat panels that wouldn't be usable when I took the divider out so I'm stuck with two panels that pry wouldn't sell ...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!