Virginia Alert: SB477 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
EricWI
Virginia Alert: SB477

SB 477 Dangerous wild animals.
Introduced by: L. Louise Lucas

SUMMARY AS INTRODUCED:

Dangerous wild animals. Makes it a Class 1 misdemeanor to privately possess, sell, transfer, or breed dangerous wild animals The bill would grandfather in the ownership of any existing lawful exotic animals; however, the owner of such animals is required to meet certain conditions in order to maintain possession of the exotic animals. The bill limits the possession of dangerous wild animals to facilities accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and bona fide sanctuaries. The legislation describes the procedures to be followed in the seizure and care of dangerous wild animals.
http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp...=bil&val=sb477

Old 01-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Chuckels
Incase you wanted the Python portion of it ....

(2) Family Boidae: anacondas (Genus Eunectes), boa constrictors (Boa constrictor), Burmese pythons (Python molurus), reticulated pythons (Python reticulatus), amethystine pythons (Morelia amethistina), scrub pythons (Morelia kinghorni), Northern African pythons (Python sebae), Southern African pythons (Python natalensis).

Trey

Old 01-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
existential
You must send an email to
district18@senate.virginia.gov
to voice opposition BEFORE 5PM TODAY!

Old 01-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
David_Means
Virginia SB477 isn't on the docket for public hearing this week and will NOT be heard tomorrow (Jan. 19, 2012). It may be heard as early as next week. We will have the opportunity to testify to oppose this Bill at the hearing in front of the committee. Each person will have a small amount of time to speak. Here is a link for tips for testifying: http://legis.virginia.gov/1_cit_guide/tips_testify.html

I plan on attending this hearing and speaking in opposition to this Bill and hope many of you can join me. For those of you that can't attend the hearing, I'd be happy to hand deliver a letter on your behalf. Letters should have your hand signed signature on them to be most effective. Letters should be respectful. Be sure to include that you are opposed to SB477.

I would be happy to offer a ride to anyone that wants to meet at my house in Culpeper. We need as many people to show up at this hearing as possible. We also need a lot of letters. Get your family and friends involved in sending letters. Even if you are not a Virginia resident send letters telling how this bill will affect you.

It would be great if someone could post a pre-written letter a person could just fill in their name and print/email.

Please feel free to contact me at:

David Means

540-829-9846

540-219-5792

dvmeans@hotmail.com

Old 01-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
existential
David.. fantastic! I will attend if possible, but if its on Thursday I don't think ill be able to get out of work. I have altered one of the usark letters to fit our situation here in VA and have posted it all over various sites (mainly craigslist and Facebook). Many others have copied and sent and you can feel free to use it. I'd also like to handwrite a statement, if you think you'll be able to read them at the hearing. The form letter is below. Ill call you tomorrow, if that's okay, regarding the handwritten letter.

My family and I represent a unique American Industry that has developed and grown exponentially over the past two decades—the Reptile Industry. I write to you today to describe how our hard work, job creation, and contribution to our national and state economy is about to be put in jeopardy. I very much want you to be aware of this dynamic because it strikes at the ability of Americans to maintain their jobs, family life, and their contributions to our American education and work ethic.

I suspect you have been approached by special interest groups that would like to end animal ownership and kill my industry by pushing enactment of the new reptile ban in VA. The livelihood of many of your constituents is at stake, not to mention the negatives effects on the economy that WILL be felt.

If passed, these propositions will be the beginning of the end of our industry. This rule, based on ignorance and fear, will not 'protect' people,. It will hurt American business and my family. More people are killed in car accidents, in dog attacks, and by lightning than exotic animals! Not only is the proposal unfair, it is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Consider that the reptile hobby is a billion dollar industry nationwide, and consider the hardships our state and its citizens will face should this law be enacted.

With your stated agenda of sound science combined with your keen awareness of the reality of the world today, I hope you will instantly identify with my problem and make certain that I and thousands of virginians can get back to work free from fear of the consequences of the exotics ban. I know that you will want to do the right thing to stop wasting government time and money so that our government can attend to more pressing state matters.

Proposed bill 477 is prejudicial, economically damaging, and ineffective. As Americans and small business owners, we have the right to be a part of any legislation regarding the possession and sale of exotics.

I would like to be informed of any upcoming committee meetings or hearings so that our concerns and suggestions may be heard and taken into considerations.

Thank you for your consideration.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
existential
Do you mind if I share your post and contact info?

Old 01-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
David_Means
Quote:
Originally Posted by existential View Post
Do you mind if I share your post and contact info?
You are welcome to share if you like and you are welcome to call anytime.

Thanks, David

Old 01-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
David_Means
Seeing as how the Bill is saying that these exotic/wild animals are dangerous, we should include in our letters that these animals pose little to no danger to the public and little to no danger to the keepers.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
existential
Yes, that's what I was going for with the sentence about mote people being killed by cars, etc. I can rewrite it to be a little more clear and solid.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
Focal
This is just silly.

Thanks guys/gals. Your initiative to this matter is very admirable.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!