Coluber fans/keepers - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
utopia
Coluber fans/keepers

Hi,

Am based in Europe. So far never seen a Coluber like Coluber constrictor foxii for sale. Does anyone on here keep them?.

Of course would be interested to get some from the US to Europe (Expos).
Please share your information about any of the colubers. Like charater,cage size,snake size and preys

Thanks so much

Old 02-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
utopia
No one

Old 02-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
Herpin Man
I kept a few 30 or so years ago. They are alert, active, and fast (hence the name "racer") snakes that require large cages, heat, structure, and lots of food.
Mine ate nearly everything offered- rodents, insects, snakes, lizards, and I forget what all else. They seem relatively easy to keep, but I think providing large roomy caging is best for all concerned.
I don't think that many people in the U.S. keep them. They are very rarely offered for sale, although they are interesting and attractive snakes.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #4
hotlips
I've only kept a couple "coachwhips" (Masticophis flagellum) in the past, did not breed them (they were rescues). I only mention because their characteristics are similar to the colubers, long, very active & not constrictors. The difficulty (as already mentioned) is having large enough living quarters for them...without that, you'll have a snake rubbing it's nose raw & being miserable, so for that reason not many keep them. That & the fact that such snakes do not enjoy handling & remind you by nipping. They are (both) awesome serpents, but I most loved seeing them in the wild. I know of no one who breeds either one, sorry.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:00 AM   #5
utopia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpin Man View Post
I kept a few 30 or so years ago. They are alert, active, and fast (hence the name "racer") snakes that require large cages, heat, structure, and lots of food.
Mine ate nearly everything offered- rodents, insects, snakes, lizards, and I forget what all else. They seem relatively easy to keep, but I think providing large roomy caging is best for all concerned.
I don't think that many people in the U.S. keep them. They are very rarely offered for sale, although they are interesting and attractive snakes.
Such a shame that they seem to be gone out of the hobby even in the countries there from. In Europe the Western coachwhip is getting more populair but most if not all are still very young.

Love active snakes always kept active species.
I guess you cant point me in a US importer that ships to Europe?.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
hotlips
For what it's worth utopia, I agree with you, and a late friend of mine was a fan of coluber, coachwhips & other uncommon species (gonyosoma etc). I haven't personally shopped for snakes in a few years myself, but one criticism I hear from those who attend "expos" are the lack of diversity. (such as the ridiculous over-abundance of ball pythons) I'm sorry that I can't help you.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
utopia
Was already a fraid of this. That there barely any keepers. I have good news in 3 months ill be getting some not sure as to what but a put an order on Colubers will make pictures once i have them.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #8
hotlips
Will look forward to your updates, & wish you all the luck. We need species diversity, and for the life of me I can't understand why there isn't more interest in the huge variety of rat snakes (& others including coluber) versus the ridiculous abundance of boas and BPs, which because of size &/or temperature requirements, aren't always the best (or easiest) pets? Other snakes are more active & easier to keep than large boids, and there's no shortage of beauty.

Sadly, I suspect that commercial aspects have a lot to do with it: larger boids have many offspring, which in turn need to eat a lot more (rodent sales increase) and require expensive cage upgrades. The other downside is that many (boas & pythons) just get too big & difficult to handle for their owners during their lifetime.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #9
utopia
So true am all for underrated species..not a fan of ball pythons or boa morphs. but sure can appreciate a nice boa or python.

At this moment am working with spilotes from different localities. Will be sure to update you all on this.

Be that time ll probably own few more species like boiga

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!