Hi! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
puppersandsneks
Hi!

I'm a little new to this site, though I've lurked on BOI for quite a while. I'm supposed to be getting my first ball python from Brian Barcyzk or BHB in a few days. I've done quite a bit of research on how to care or them over the past few months. I'll be putting her in a terrarium with some Eco Earth and a couple of hides. I'm extremely nervous as I only had a green snake when I was a little kid but I really hope to do well.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:27 PM   #2
hotlips
Sounds to me like you're on the right track, doing research first & also being here, ready to ask questions if anything comes up that perplexes you. Ball pythons are pretty, they stay a nice size & are usually very docile, but honestly not the easiest snake to start with despite the many sources that say they are ideal beginner snakes. I say that because they need more heat & humidity than many other snakes, and especially because they can be very picky eaters, though not always right away as babies. Anyway, if you're "nervous" that means you care enough to learn, so I think you'll be fine. Our pets (snakes+) teach us all sorts of things, & definitely make life more interesting.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:51 PM   #3
Randall Turner
Congrats on the soon to be new addition. Always good to have new members to participate in the forums. And welcome to the boards.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:08 AM   #4
puppersandsneks
Well, I live in the upstate of the South and it tends to get incredibly humid here no matter what the season and I'm well prepared on keeping her humidity up with coconut fiber substrate and perhaps even moss. I've decided on one that'll be a year old in four months and they told me she's eating well, but I'm extremely excited and glad I found this place in case i have questions. I definitely probably will down the road, so it's good to know there are experienced people I can ask!

Old 02-22-2018, 01:39 AM   #5
hotlips
A snake that's a little older (give or take a year) is a better choice too: baby snakes (neonates or hatchlings) can be hard to get going sometimes, plus they are fragile, & if anything is going to go wrong (internal defects) it's less of a risk once they've grown some. I know what you mean about the humid South, lol.

Baby snakes are fun when you have more experience, I've bred some & raised many more than just the ones I produced...but some can be frustrating & difficult, maybe not how you want to start off.
It's better to have a feeding record, & you want to offer the same as what they took previously. Also, MOST important: allow a snake time to settle in & feed easily for you at least a couple times before you do any handling. I know, I know...the first thing we ALL want to do is hold these cute little things, but that can mess up their feeding response, especially because they're also stressed from being in a new place (and from being shipped). The only thing that normally (in the wild) picks up a baby snake is a predator about to eat them...so for best results, don't confuse them, let them "be a snake first"- let their instincts kick in, let them feel secure in their scary new place, which they will demonstrate with a good feeding response.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #6
puppersandsneks
Oh yeah. I should be getting her saturday or monday depending on what the breeder and I discuss today. I'll be letting her rest in there for at least 3-5 days before I do anything, but I will be keeping an eye on her temperature and humidity levels. She's roughly 8-9 months old so I feel that I should be okay. Thank you everyone so far for the response.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!