URGENT!!!CORN SNAKE LOST IN WALLS!!!! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-22-2018, 12:06 AM   #11
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach8498 View Post
Would it be bad if my mom uses the dishwasher while he's hiding?
I'd have to say yes, probably...at least if he's still right there, nearby. The vibration might scare him further into the walls. And kitchens are very dangerous places for snakes anyway: they can get killed* if they get into appliances, possibly attracted by moisture or warmth. (*by the motor or fan in the refrigerator, etc)
Honestly I was worried sick when my bull snake got loose, I hope you (and your snake!) get lucky too. I really think yours will take a snooze for a while, and it's lucky you have a corn snake, not something "tropical" (like a BP) that would likely get sick from being too cold. Corn snakes need a little extra warmth (80-85*) to digest, of course, but otherwise often prefer 70-72*. On the floor, it's usually chilly in winter time no matter how warm your house is, so it's likely your snake will 'chill out' for a while. Like I said, don't give up if you don't see him for several months. It may take that long for him to get active.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:15 AM   #12
hotlips
I can appreciate your plan to "stay by the dishwasher for 24/7" but while I'd certainly do that tonight too, at some point you have to sleep & go on with other things. I hope he comes out tonight for you, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 02-22-2018, 12:26 AM   #13
hotlips
Is he hungry (due to be fed) right now, by any chance? If so, you might be able to lure him out with the scent of a mouse if you sit quietly...but it could take much longer than you can stay awake, I'm afraid. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2018, 12:59 AM   #14
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
Also put lines of flour or sugar around the dishwasher so you can see if he exists...
I wouldn't use sugar, you might end up with ants everywhere, and when I lived in the desert, I had ants get into a gecko cage once that was high up on a cabinet, mostly for the mealworms (the gecko's dinner) but sadly, they also killed the gecko. Ants eat most anything & I wouldn't put it past ants to get on a snake too.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #15
Zach8498
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlips View Post
I can appreciate your plan to "stay by the dishwasher for 24/7" but while I'd certainly do that tonight too, at some point you have to sleep & go on with other things. I hope he comes out tonight for you, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
I do an online school, so I could stay by the dishwasher 24/7. Although, I guess I should just hope he comes out.

Quote:
Is he hungry (due to be fed) right now, by any chance? If so, you might be able to lure him out with the scent of a mouse if you sit quietly...but it could take much longer than you can stay awake, I'm afraid. Good luck!
I fed him three days ago.

Quote:
I wouldn't use sugar, you might end up with ants everywhere, and when I lived in the desert, I had ants get into a gecko cage once that was high up on a cabinet, mostly for the mealworms (the gecko's dinner) but sadly, they also killed the gecko. Ants eat most anything & I wouldn't put it past ants to get on a snake too.
I realized that ants would take over my house if I left sugar out (it happened before), so I used flour.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #16
Lucille
There is an easily removable front bottom panel in many dishwashers, go ahead and remove it. Do the 'scatter flour' thing so you can see if he moves in the area. I have tried to find on the internet a picture of the bottom/back of a built in dishwasher without much success, so I am not sure what moving parts would be accessible to a snake. I would think that you should volunteer to wash all dishes by hand during this time if you do not want the dishwasher used. Good luck, hope you find him soon.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #17
Zach8498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
There is an easily removable front bottom panel in many dishwashers, go ahead and remove it. Do the 'scatter flour' thing so you can see if he moves in the area. I have tried to find on the internet a picture of the bottom/back of a built in dishwasher without much success, so I am not sure what moving parts would be accessible to a snake. I would think that you should volunteer to wash all dishes by hand during this time if you do not want the dishwasher used. Good luck, hope you find him soon.
At this point, I'm not sure if he's in the wall behind the dishwasher, or under the dishwasher. My dad moved the dishwasher yesterday, and he wasn't there. But we saw a hole in the wall where the pipes went into the wall. We put the dishwasher back, so he might have gone back under the dishwasher since yesterday. I put a mouse, his hide, his heat mat, and his water dish by the dishwasher, but he still hasn't come out. I can tell because the flour I scattered on the floor hasn't changed. Would turning the temperature up to 73 help him come out of the wall?

Old 02-22-2018, 06:16 PM   #18
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach8498 View Post
...Would turning the temperature up to 73 help him come out of the wall?
Who knows? He's full of food & should be digesting, not looking to snooze right now, but if his heat pad is on [under the DW-?] I don't think your room temperature will matter.

I can remember someone else buying or renting a long flexible & lighted "scope" to look inside walls for their escaped snake. I think that was normally used by plumbers & contractors (maybe electrical too?) to see what's inside walls without tearing out the wall. Just another idea...?

Old 02-22-2018, 07:01 PM   #19
hotlips
One other thing: if snakes have to choose between the proper temperature (like for digesting) and feeling the most "secure", they'll choose security. So it's possible, even though you're offering his heat pad, he may choose to stay in the wall & end up tossing up his recent meal. Your nose should tell you (within a few days) if this occurs, I hope not...but if something smells dead, it's probably not your snake (at this point).

Old 02-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #20
Zach8498
Quote:
One other thing: if snakes have to choose between the proper temperature (like for digesting) and feeling the most "secure", they'll choose security. So it's possible, even though you're offering his heat pad, he may choose to stay in the wall & end up tossing up his recent meal. Your nose should tell you (within a few days) if this occurs, I hope not...but if something smells dead, it's probably not your snake (at this point).
Thanks. I'll try to create a secure environment to lure him out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!