Bowl feeding. - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #21
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowgod34 View Post
If they are just as happy to slide up next to the rat and eat it I don't see the big deal. Is it bad that they don't strike before eating?
no, not at all! I don't see any problem with people that just leave the f/t in the cage and let the boa take at their leisure. I personally prefer if they strike, but there are many roads to success.

Heck, I've just dropped the f/t in there before, the boa comes up all slow and then still ends up coiling it.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #22
RachelsBoa
I think I would get bitten trying to stick my hand in the cage with a rat in a bowl. Sounds more risky to me than using tongs. What's your method? All of my boas are tame when handled, but they all have feeding responses (which I don't mind). Most of them coil around the rat, but I may start making all of them do it now that you guys mention it. I'm still trying to picture a rat in a dog bowl sitting in their cage, and I'm still curious as to how you get it in there lol. But whatever works for you!

Old 01-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #23
Bowgod34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelsBoa View Post
I think I would get bitten trying to stick my hand in the cage with a rat in a bowl. Sounds more risky to me than using tongs. What's your method? All of my boas are tame when handled, but they all have feeding responses (which I don't mind). Most of them coil around the rat, but I may start making all of them do it now that you guys mention it. I'm still trying to picture a rat in a dog bowl sitting in their cage, and I'm still curious as to how you get it in there lol. But whatever works for you!
I just put it in on the opposite side that the snake is laying on. If they don't strike their food I ain't worried about them striking me. Typically what happens is I put the food in, within a few seconds the snake pics up the scent and comes to investigate. Some put the stalk on the bowl others just come straight to the bowl. A short investigation takes place, then when she's satisfied or finds the right end the jaws open, and feeding begins. Most of the time I take the bowl out while they're in the process of swallowing.

Now I do give my snakes plenty of exercise. They have over sized cages with stuff to climb on for in cage exercise, and I get them out to crawl around for at least 3-4 hours a week unless gravid or in shed where I find they're best left alone.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #24
crotalusadamanteus
Boas, IMO anyway, SHOULD have a nice feed response. If you don't get much of a reaction out of them, you might be feeding them too often. Some people prefer that though. I've seen condas that were kept so full that they'd eat a rat from your hand like a human baby opening it's mouth for another spoonful.

I thaw out my rats in the bathroom, behind closed doors, and every one of my snakes on the other side of the trailer knows it's feeding time before they're even thawed out completely. They will all be waiting for it, and half will come part way out to get it.

I agree with the exorcize part too. Let them "kill" it...again. Boa should act like Boa, not garter snakes.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #25
Metachrosis
Attempting to sanitize "instinct"
Just when you think you have heard it . . . . .unbelievable shows up
yet again.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #26
Stryker414
I had an 08 female sunglow who after a while wouldn't take the rat off the tongs. I just stopped trying that method with her and laid the rat in the cage to for her. And she would just start eating, no striking or coiling. Its like she was saying, "Dude really! I'm not gonna waste my energy coiling a dead rat; but you're awesome for taking care of that part for me!"

Old 01-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #27
Bowgod34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
Attempting to sanitize "instinct"
Just when you think you have heard it . . . . .unbelievable shows up
yet again.

Not attempting anything. If the instinct was to kill.they'd still strike and coil the rat before eating it. They don't even attempt it. Every adult boa I've ever tried this with has done the same thing. So what is their instinct really when they know the rat is already dead?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!