what would you get 66% BWC x Motley het albino - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
MurdocksReptiles
what would you get 66% BWC x Motley het albino

now correct me wherever im wrong.
but from my understanding bwc ( boa woman caramels ) are sorta like T+
so with that said does that mean they wouldnt be compatible to breed with boas of the kahl strain? if there not compatible with kahl strain ignore further questions..

if you can breed with kahl strain,
what might the litter have in it from a

66% BWC male ( born from Het BWC x Jungle Het BWC )
X
Motley 66% Het Albino female( born from DH Sunglow x Motley DH Sunglow )

the female i aready have, im just looking for something to raise up and breed with her. If this BWC isnt the one, then im open to suggestions on what would make nice litters with her?

Old 06-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
RachelsBoa
BWC is not compatible with Kahl, they are different forms of albino.

If you're wanting to prove your motley girl, you would need a male that has the Kahl gene somewhere.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Mainely Boas
Let's presume that both possible hets (eventually) prove out.

Half the litter will be Motleys, half normal.

Half of all babies will be het for BWC, but you can't tell which ones.

Half of all babies will be het for Kahl albino, but you can't tell which ones.

Half of the babies will be het for nothing.

A quarter of the babies will be het for both, but you can't tell which ones (this 1/4 is a part of the above mentioned hets; not in additional to them).

These are average outcomes that can be expected. Obviously, because these are only possible hets, if either or both prove to NOT be hets, you have to eliminate those numbers. If neither are really hets, you just make half motleys, half normals.

This seems like a wasteful breeding. Because you can't identify what genes they may or may not be carrying, you can't give a buyer any confidence in what s/he is getting. You'd be way better off getting 100% het BWC (or a visual BWC), and 100% Kahl Albino (or a visual albino) and prove out the genes of these possible hets.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
jmwboas
Ken, The babies would be possible hets. The animals that hes mentioned are only 66% possible het for those genes. Without proving out either first, you don't know if they even carry those genes. If they did, each baby would have 50% chance of carrying the each gene. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I have been slacking on my genetics reading lately.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Mainely Boas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwboas View Post
Ken, The babies would be possible hets. The animals that hes mentioned are only 66% possible het for those genes. Without proving out either first, you don't know if they even carry those genes. If they did, each baby would have 50% chance of carrying the each gene. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I have been slacking on my genetics reading lately.
That's exactly what I said. If the poss hets prove out to be actual hets, half the offspring would then be hets, but you can't tell which ones. In other words, 50% pos het.

The first line of my post: "Let's presume that both possible hets (eventually) prove out."

Later on: "If neither are really hets, you just make half motleys, half normals."

Old 06-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
jmwboas
My bad Ken, I reread it and it made sense now. Maybe the coffee just wasn't doing it this morning! Sorry about that.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
MurdocksReptiles
so they are or arent compatible? got 2 different answers it seems.

so because both of them are only 66% hets
you think there both more of pet boas then breeding boas?
maybe ill need a new female then as well?

this would be my first breeding so im really not concerned with coming out with 1000$ snakes, i just want experience.

then maybe ill drop a couple thousand on a breed-able pair

Old 06-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
Mainely Boas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwboas View Post
My bad Ken, I reread it and it made sense now. Maybe the coffee just wasn't doing it this morning! Sorry about that.
No problem at all. I try to stay away from the common terms 66% het, 50% het, etc., as they can be misleading. As we both clearly understand, it is either heterozygous or it isn't. The percentage of probability is somewhat useful, but can also confuse folks who are new to recessive genetics.

I posted "het Sterlings" for sale and more than one person contacted me to find out "what percent het?" No percent. They are heterozygous for Sterling patternless. I don't even like to call them 100% het, because someone could infer that an animal can be partially heterozygous.

Did you ever think, when you were flipping over plywood looking for garter snakes as a kid that it would lead to discussions of recessive genes, punnet squares, etc.? I certainly didn't.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
Mainely Boas
They are definitely not compatible, regardless of those percentages. Kahl albino and BWC are two different genotypes. You need each parent to be carrying a copy of the same recessive gene to produce animals with the visual trait (phenotype).

As for "experience," the experience will be the same with desirable animals. When you make mutts, you have a hard time getting rid of them and you just dilute an already weak market. You can pick up a Kahl for a few hundred dollars. A BWC is going to be more (pardon the pun).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk.mrdck View Post
so they are or arent compatible? got 2 different answers it seems.

so because both of them are only 66% hets
you think there both more of pet boas then breeding boas?
maybe ill need a new female then as well?

this would be my first breeding so im really not concerned with coming out with 1000$ snakes, i just want experience.

then maybe ill drop a couple thousand on a breed-able pair

Old 06-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
MurdocksReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainely Boas View Post

Did you ever think, when you were flipping over plywood looking for garter snakes as a kid that it would lead to discussions of recessive genes, punnet squares, etc.? I certainly didn't.

im just making the transition now.
trying to learn more bout the genetics and such.

speaking of which.
if you dont mind answering, how would you be able to tell that a snake is 66% het or 50% het?

or is it more of a guess based of the percentages of what the litter should contain.?

any links on all this would be apprieciated as well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!