Arizona??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 02-04-2004, 02:05 PM   #1
Glenn Bartley
Arizona???

So here I am on a temporary assignment for my job in Phoenix, AZ. I am hoping to do some herping if it warms up a bit. Can anyone tell me what type of license is required to herp in AZ. Thanks
Best regards,
Glenn B

Old 02-06-2004, 08:49 PM   #2
sharrack
Hunting license

Go to Walmart and get a small game license.
Go on the AZGF website and make a copy of the regulations.
Wildlife managers will be out in force this season so you will have to know what NOT to touch. Kenny S>

Old 02-23-2004, 04:18 PM   #3
Glenn Bartley
Man it has been chilly out here for herping, but some herps have been out and about.

Week of Feb. 15 - 21:

6 Tree lizards, where else but on a tree. I saw these on the sunny side of two trees at a rest area somewhere between Phoenix and Why. Yes that is the name of the town and if you ever stop by you too may wonder why they ever opted to plant a town there!

1 as of yet unidentified, by me, lizard found under a rock that I slipped on while out hiking. The rock went tumbling and the lizard just stayed put. I put the rock back in place but first picked up the lizard so as not to squash it. I checked the lizard out and it seemed not to have been injured at all. I then let it crawl back under the same stone.

1 Desert Banded Gecko, also found under a rock, this one I actually looked under.

6 Centipedes, all under rocks. Yellow at each end with a grayish body, each about 3 inches long.

1 huge Black Widow.

(Sure those last two are not herps, but were pretty neat finds).

I didn't try to catch any of these. I would like to get a nice trio of Yarrow's Spiny Lizards, but I have to check on their status with the Arizona Game and Fish Department. I am pretty sure they are fair game with a hunting license.

It warmed up a couple of days last week, but cooled right off again. I am still hoping it warms up for a long spell before I leave in early march, but no warming trend is in site right now. Daily temps in the sixties, and it was in the mid fifties in the hills where I found that unidentified lizard. It was warmer under that stone, I am sure, but I was still rather surprised to see a lizard with that cool of an ambient air temp. Oh well, at least I have not been skunked!

Happy Herping,
Glenn B

Old 03-10-2004, 06:31 AM   #4
WingedWolf
Black Widows

If you want to see some black widows, you're welcome to the several dozen that currently live under my home. <shudder>

Yes, they're neat, but it's rather disturbing that they're where they are, and there's not a lot I can do about it, because they're under EVERYONE'S home here. (Cheyenne, Wyoming)

Old 03-11-2004, 01:26 PM   #5
Glenn Bartley
I only mentioned the back widow, the centipedes and the scorpiuon because of the paucity of herp species that were out and about due to the cool temps. I used to have them in my home in Calexico, CA (yes many years ago I lived in that choice garden spot of the USA). Funny thing was we never saw another bug in the house while they were about. The bad thing was that one of them bit me once (or so the doctors guessed it was a BW bite). Rather interesting experience it was, diziness, blurred vision, a slightly itchy lump the size of a duck egg oat the bite site, a red line up my arm from the site, and I was none the worse for the experience after a vist to the local ER and a few shots.

The thing about the one I saw recently in AZ was the sheer size of it. I had never seen one that big before. It was huge for any I have ever seen.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!