I Lost It!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-31-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
techgirl
I Lost It!!!!

Dang it!!! I only had to watch my friend's baby eastern milksnake for another week and now it's gone!!!! I can't find it anywhere. I have no idea where it could have gone. I feel horrible. I called her and told her what has happened. I have a strong feeling that I will not be finding the wee thing. How fun is this.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
Chris Steele
I have two things that have worked for me... I have put out a source of heat with some hiding places around it and caught one before and I have also put out warm food before, but I probably just got lucky.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:52 PM   #3
D. Mong
Same Thing At Pet Store

Two weeks ago, I sold a hatchling anerythristic Honduran to a local pet store,.....the employee was working there, but the owner was not. He called her (the owner) on the phone to tell her what I had for sale,.......she told the employee to go ahead and write me a check, so he did, and I told him a couple of very important tips that would help out when feeding the snake,....and so on,...........I came back to the store the next day to give him a few more tips that I forgot to tell him the day before,.....and he said that it had already escaped from the cage he put it in, and was somewere in the store!!, I just looked at him and shook my head in disbelief. The owner never even got to see what she had bought ! Apparently, that was one of the things that I forgot to tell him the day before...........I can never stress this enough to people that aren't "seasoned" snake owners,.......they are natural born escape artists !!!!!......they will get out of nooks and crannies that most people couldn't imagine they could escape from..........you, and that employee have just learned one of the biggest lessons of snake keeping !!.....................D. Mong

Old 11-02-2006, 07:04 AM   #4
techgirl
Actually I have several snakes now and have owned several in the past. Unfortunately it looked like the housing that it was in had a very small hole that could be easily overlooked because it matches the venting on the top of the tank.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
D. Mong
I totally understand,.....it's happened to me many times in the past 39 years that I've had snakes, especially when I was younger,.....heck, I've even been distracted by doing something else while I've had snakes outside on the ground,.......realizing many hours later when I walked into the snake room to find the snakes lid off the cage,......and suddeny thought to myself,....HOLY @%&)#&^%$ .......I ran outside with a flashlight and searched in, and under everything possible, but it was a lost cause,.......it was gone forever,........another time ,not too long ago, I left the top off of one of my adult tangerine Honduran's cage while feeding her,then went off to do a little something else around the house while she ate,.. and .........WHAT DO YOU KNOW, it happened again. ...About a month and a half later, I went to put on a pair of shorts that were in a laundry basket on the floor of my bedroom, and discovered her coiled up in the front pocket when I went to put them on,(they had very big pockets)................even with almost 100 snakes in the snake room, and having snakes since I was seven years old, it SHOCKED the daylights right out of me for just a split second,.......boy,was I happy to find her again!!!..............these were just two, in the many experiences that I have had.......anyway,...do like the other post said, and maybe put some heating pads on low, set them down on the floor maybe in a corner or two, with a couple of roughled up t shirts on top of them for the snake to hide in.......Another idea like in the previous post, would be to get an apropriate sized mouse, put it in a little wire cage(so snake can really get a good wiff) and put it in a corner with a t shirt or something to conceal it..........and you just might get lucky......................D. Mong

Old 11-02-2006, 10:30 PM   #6
Cat_72
I thought I lost one of my pastel girls tonight......feeding day, and the kids were rsuhing me to get going to town, and I didn't get one of the drawers slid shut all of the way. I had only been gone about an hour, and the door to the room was shut, so I figured she couldn't have gone TOO far......found her under a spare blanket curled up around an ammo can. LOL.

Keep looking in warm, dark hidey places, you may just get lucky and find her.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:05 AM   #7
techgirl
yeah I'm still looking but yet no luck. I did contact my friend and had to leave a message on her phone and an e-mail telling her what happened. Even offered to replace it if she wants. I know it doesn't make the situation any better but it's an attempt.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #8
D. Mong
Techgirl,.........You might have thought of this already,.... but just in case you didn't, you might also want to put some strategically placed shallow water dishes on the ground in several places, as it will need water way before it needs food,.........it could go weeks, even months without eating, but it cant go too long without water !!........this will greatly increase your odds of eventually finding it alive !!!!................again, good luck.................D. Mong

Old 11-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #9
techgirl
Yeah I did think of that. The only downside is that my daughter keeps picking up the bowls to give to me(she's 2) and the cat likes to knock them everywhere. I'm kinda out of luck on that one

Old 11-05-2006, 10:39 PM   #10
D. Mong
It sounds like your cat just might find the snake before you do !! ......I sure hope I'm wrong for the snakes sake (hey, that rhymes)..........but if you really try hard, you could probably find some extremely well hidden places(especially in corners) behind things that the child or cat can't get to.For example, putting some heavy stereo speakers(or whatever) wedged in a corner that would protect a very shallow saucer of water, yet out of sight of both the child,and the cat............where there's a will, there's a way...... right?,......anyway,.... again, good luck...................D. Mong

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!