Milksnake breeding reference - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
shell74
Milksnake breeding reference

On a whim (yes I know that’s bad) I purchased a pair of adult black milksnakes at a show. I am looking for a reliable reference site for proper breeding set up, care and whatnot. These guys are 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 feet long and eating like crazy. We have ball pythons and boas but never have had anything else. Just want to make sure we are doing everything right for them.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #2
elena
I've found a lot of good caresheets on reptilesmagazine.com. Here is one on black milks.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Bree...nake-Breeding/

Old 05-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
KingsnakeKing
Do you brumate your milksnakes? I've noticed that they will sometimes still breed without it but are much more fertile and eager to breed if you do. Also, has the added bonus of not having to worry about feeding for a few months.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
shell74
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
I've found a lot of good caresheets on reptilesmagazine.com. Here is one on black milks.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Bree...nake-Breeding/
Thank you, that one is pretty comprehensive.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #5
shell74
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsnakeKing View Post
Do you brumate your milksnakes? I've noticed that they will sometimes still breed without it but are much more fertile and eager to breed if you do. Also, has the added bonus of not having to worry about feeding for a few months.
I have not had breeding milksnakes ever, I haven’t owned a milksnake in 25 years as well, so I am really starting from scratch. I can start with best practices.

I really have no clue what this person did prior to them coming to me. The person that sold them wasn’t the keeper (this guy supposedly got them from a friend that was retiring). This year may or may not be a wash for breeding. I only have 42 qt rack systems (set up for ball pythons) so my first goal is to get them into suitable housing ASAP.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:06 PM   #6
KingsnakeKing
You could try to put them together to see what happens but if they weren't cooled down during the winter the male may not have viable sperm.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!