Request: Separate Crested Geckos from "Geckos" Classifieds? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #11
Jaybee
Like a lot of these folks, I love and breed cresteds but when looking to purchase other species find it difficult to navigate the geckos subforum because cresteds are just so numerous they flood everything else out pretty quickly. Would you be willing to let us know how many paying sponsors you need in order to have a separate section for crested geckos? Would this be the $50/user/year cost listed at the top of the crested geckos section?

(While I was looking at those ad sections at the top I also noted that Gecko Greatness's ad is still up though it leads to a dead site, just in case you prune those out.)

Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
hhmoore
Quote:
While I was looking at those ad sections at the top I also noted that Gecko Greatness's ad is still up though it leads to a dead site, just in case you prune those out.
I've noticed that with other sponsorships...but, when the person is still paying to have the link there, it becomes harder to justify simply removing it. Dropping a website doesn't mean going out of business, and it really isn't our place to make that decision. At the same time, it is a sponsorship LINK, so dead links are pretty useless.

Rich, I'll raise this topic in the mod forum, so it doesn't muddy things up in this thread.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
WebSlave
When I think of it, I audit the sponsors via the admin page that shows all active and inactive subscriptions. "Subscriptions" in this context means a payment made via this site for either sponsorships or paid memberships.

Generally, as long as the paid subscription has not expired, I pretty much have to leave the sponsorship up on the site, regardless of whether they are still in business or not. Unless, of course, they indicate to me that the sponsorship link can be removed.

If they have an automatic subscription payment through PayPal, which automatically makes the payment, and they allow that to continue, pretty much my hands are tied. I would rather not have a dead link, but the payment has been made, so it's pretty much an implied contract.

If they wish to pay for the sponsorship regardless of them not having an active website, I really haven't made any rules against such a situation. Perhaps they are planning to come back some day and want to keep the name out there? I've got enough to do without trying to chase down issues of this nature. It's their money, I guess.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
Inret
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
So, are most of you wanting cresteds to be in a separate classified forum simply because you want to get them out of the way so finding other types of geckos will be easier on you?
Mostly this, and the inverse of it. If I want to look at cresteds, I don't want to have to look through a bunch of other species that will make me want to spend money. And I'm interested in helmeted geckos. Finding them in the gecko category is a pain because there's so many cresteds.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inret View Post
Mostly this, and the inverse of it. If I want to look at cresteds, I don't want to have to look through a bunch of other species that will make me want to spend money. And I'm interested in helmeted geckos. Finding them in the gecko category is a pain because there's so many cresteds.
Well, how about this, then. How about counting up how many NON crested ads are posted per day and let me know what you come up with. If the ad forum only produces at smattering of posts without those ads, then the forum will just be wasting space here anyway without those crested ads.

And obviously no one has stepped up to the plate offering to become a sponsor of a new forum targeted specifically for cresteds.

So you all need to look at this from my perspective, too.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
Jaybee
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
And obviously no one has stepped up to the plate offering to become a sponsor of a new forum targeted specifically for cresteds.

So you all need to look at this from my perspective, too.
I um... posted asking how many folks/what amount you were looking for Just waiting to hear.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #17
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I um... posted asking how many folks/what amount you were looking for Just waiting to hear.
A forum sponsorship costs $50 per year.

Thanks.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
Inret
And how many $50 sponsorships would it cost to make a cresteds sales forum?

Old 03-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #19
Sam'sIntentReptiles
For sure!

Old 03-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #20
WebSlave
It depends on how much removing crested from the geckos classifieds section guts that section. But realistically, the more sponsors willing to subsidize a new classifieds section, the more likely I will be to consider it.

I'm looking at it from this perspective: A forum needs to earn it's keep in one of two ways. (1) Traffic supports either the new forum standing on it's own legs, or does not then gut and neuter the forum that the new section comes from. Or (2) Sponsors are willing to provide a financial incentive for such a break-away forum. Does it make sense to take a subsection away from a forum that then leaves that parent forum floundering and then a waste of screen real estate? If all of the sponsors to that parent forum then want to move from the parent forum to the new one, has the site really gained anything?

Not to mention that I will likely have to be the one doing all the work associated with such a change. So is it going to be worthwhile to ME?

So the creation of a new forum for a classifieds has to be a positive step for this site as a whole. Not just for a few people who might feel inconvenienced because other ads are getting in the way of what they specifically are looking for. A new classifieds forum would then add a minor inconvenience to EVERYONE, because it will increase the page size going to their computer or handheld with every new section added in here. Yeah, what webmaster wouldn't like to have separate forums for every topic under the sun? But how many sites has that KILLED because it was more confusing than practical?

There are a LOT of new things I would like to try, but I have to keep these facts in mind. I would love to be able to incorporate graphics banners into the sponsorships, but that would dramatically increase the bandwidth required to send relevant pages to viewers. I would like to add commercial forum sections here attached to the highest membership level that would also incorporate banner graphics on the main page. But again, the above consideration about bandwidth needs to be kept in mind.

I would like to add more general purpose forums to broaden the scope of interest of this site. But broadening the scope of the site might dilute the perceived participation of the members.

With the profusion of small handheld devices being used to access the internet, will large complex sites like this one soon become dinosaurs abandoned because they are too unwieldy on a small viewing screen? Would it be more feasible and perhaps smarter to REDUCE the complexity by cutting back on the number of forums rather than increase that complexity with more of them?

I would like to think I've learned a thing or two about running a site like this over the years. Lord knows I don't know every right step to take, but after getting my toes pounded on here and there, I do like to tread more carefully than I used to with decisions like this. It seems that every change I have ever made here has had a cost associated with it. Then on the other hand, perhaps every time I have had an opportunity to make a change, but decided not to, there has likely been a cost associated with that decision as well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!