The Lacey Act and inconsistency of shipping policy within carriers - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 11-25-2005, 05:25 PM   #1
The BoidSmith
The Lacey Act and inconsistency of shipping policy within carriers

Here’s something I would like some opinions on how to handle. Most of us want to play by the rules and comply with current regulations. Not so long ago, I received a package containing snakes perfectly labeled with the common and scientific name of the species, including the number of animals. The sender obviously did the right thing and was very aware of the Lacey Act and it’s implications for transporting animals across state lines. He was also a certified shipper of snakes with that carrier. What he was not aware though was that problems were boiling at the receiving end. The local FedEx truck driver had never heard of such permission specifically granted to those that request it. No one could convince him otherwise. He insisted that per the suggestion of the manager he was very close to not deliver the package (in fact it was delayed 6 hours) or even call the local authorities. Has anyone gone through something similar? How could we alert the carriers (FedEx specifically) that in certain parts of the country people have been certified to ship live snakes by their very own company, and that whether they like these animals or not they should deliver the package? It really seems there’s a huge lack of communication within FedEx in explaining to their employees what has become normal practice in parts of the country. Any suggestions about how one should proceed?

Regards

Old 11-25-2005, 06:49 PM   #2
DAND
Lightbulb

I'd be on the phone to the legal department guy (James Brown I believe his name is) in a heart beat.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:54 PM   #3
The BoidSmith
David,

Do you have a phone number for Mr. Brown?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:57 PM   #4
DAND
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
David,

Do you have a phone number for Mr. Brown?

Thanks in advance.
That I do. Legal Department: 901-434-8494 James Brown

Old 11-25-2005, 07:08 PM   #5
coyote
Sorry, I don't have anything nearly as useful to offer as the posters above. But, since you have issued the invitation...My opinion is that the delivery person is an employee who's affection or lack of for ANYTHING the COMPANY accepts is null. The employee is being compensated via a paycheck to perform certain duties.

I liken this to a vegetarian cashier expecting to be exempt from scanning meat. And, holding up the whole line while s/he waits for management to come to the rescue.

Old 11-25-2005, 08:05 PM   #6
PaulSage
In my opinion/experience, FedEx REALLY needs to inform their employees--all of them--on their policies. Since they claim it is okay to ship live harmless reptiles as long as certain conditions are met and the shipper is certified, they should let everyone from account reps and counter staff to drivers and truck loaders know these things. Cripes, hasn't anyone heard of COMPANY NEWSLETTERS?!

Dan, sorry you had to go through that. What a pain... In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I am reminded just how grateful I am that my FedEx driver is so darn cool. (especially on the off day when he has a substitute.)

Old 11-25-2005, 08:06 PM   #7
The BoidSmith
Thanks David!

Old 11-25-2005, 08:11 PM   #8
The BoidSmith
Quote:
My opinion is that the delivery person is an employee who's affection or lack of for ANYTHING the COMPANY accepts is null.
Marjee,

You are absolutely right. Regrettably they seem to think they are "the company" themselves. On the other hand one has to understand some people have an irrational fear towards snakes. Handling a box full of them is getting as close to their worst nightmare as they ever dreamed of.

Regards.

Old 11-25-2005, 08:16 PM   #9
The BoidSmith
Thanks Paul! Happy Thanksgiving BTW! You are absolutely right the company as a whole should be informed of these dispositions. When this happened it was cold. Luckily the snakes were very well packed and with 40-h heat packs; a 6-h delay could have been fatal, and it was not that they did not know what was in the package!

Old 11-26-2005, 10:09 AM   #10
Greg Riso
If You Think That's Bad

The manager of the cargo facility here at the Manchester, NH airport expected me to sign a "received in good condition release form" BEFORE I even opened up the package! This baby arabesque boa was shipped legally via Delta but and when I told the manager of the facility I had to inspect the contents to make sure the snake was okay, he repeatedly said, "not in my facility." I actually had to take the box outside the front door to open up the box and check out the snake. This was not to big a deal in September but try doing it in February here in New England when it's 18 degrees F outside. I told the guy it was only a baby but he acted as if there was a cobra inside. People watch Animal Planet and think every snake is venomous.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!