whats everyones opinion of the scalless cornsnakes? - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #41
KelliH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Dum's View Post
Texas rat crosses? is that rumor or something someone can prove? between mine and the others ive seen first hand i havnt seen anything that would lead me to believe they got texas rat in them, if that is something thaT can be proven ill hit the roof
They're either Texas Rat crosses or emoryi crosses.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #43
MalinoisK9
I personally find them quite ugly and the idea is disturbing. I feel like if you truly care for your animal you would want it to be as healthy as possible.

I have heard varying reports of them having a higher rate of mouth infections from the mouth having trouble properly aligning and more or less getting gum rot. I want to point out that bold higher before I hear "I've had no problems so far". Just because you have had no issues doesn't mean that they don't tend to have a higher rate of occurrence.
I'll have to sift through my bookmarks and see if I have any of the threads saved but I have also heard from people that have bred them that they originally got the scaleless gene into corns was from texas rat snakes. Of course it would be hard to see.. they have similar body shapes and since it doesn't have scales it isn't hard to not see things you would see if the animal had scales and ...well looked like a true snake. Hybrids (especially colubrids and even more so in the rat snakes) are typically hard to guess what the parents were. I've seen many milk x king crosses that look like a king morph or a milk morph.

There are just to many possible negatives and only 1 positive (depending on the person). If "because it looks cool" is the only thing going for a breeding, with other negatives possible... then all you are is a breeder not a true herpetoculturist.

This is going the route of the show German Shepherds. All for an odd look and no care of overall health.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #44
DISCERN
LOL! Overpriced hybrids! You gotta love it!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #45
Classic Dum's
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH View Post
They're either Texas Rat crosses or emoryi crosses.
i agree with them bein emoryi, thaTs what they were sold to me as, no differant then creamsickles, i dont understand why people accept creamsickles but have an issue with these

Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #46
MalinoisK9
I don't think it is that fact that they are hybrids. More that they are physically deformed.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #47
Classic Dum's
wooohooooooo my tessera will be here tomorrow
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #48
Classic Dum's
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalinoisK9 View Post
I don't think it is that fact that they are hybrids. More that they are physically deformed.
i fail to see how they are deformed? between the one i bought and the #s I seen they all looked healty as can be to me

Old 03-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #49
Classic Dum's
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCERN View Post
LOL! Overpriced hybrids! You gotta love it!
i think the pricing is fair or i woulodnt have bought one

Old 03-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #50
annmikeal
The ones that I worked with were 1.1 Texas Rats and 0.1 Everglades Rat... I do agree with the fact that they are overpriced, but anything that is new or a different color phase that has not been seen before is going to be high. Plus from what I have learned with the breeding of them is that not every baby is scaleless... They are unique if nothing else

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!