Snake vomit? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #1
Aameadowss
Exclamation Snake vomit?

I fed my snake one normal sized mouse right before going on vacation for a week. When I came back, there was a weird nasty looking thing in her tank that looked like undigested mouse goo.

I'm assuming she threw up the mouse but does anyone know why this happens? I've had snakes for years and I've never seen this.

Attaching a photo.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
bcr229
Yep, that's a regurge. Once smelled, never forgotten.

Leave your snake alone for three weeks and make doubly certain your temps and humidity are correct. While you are waiting buy some NutriBAC reptile probiotic, you can find it on Amazon.

In three weeks offer a wet/damp f/t mouse hopper dusted with a bit of the NutriBAC powder. If that stays down offer another in 14 days. If that stays down offer another in ten days, and another in seven days, and if all goes well you can start moving up in sizes to weekly feedings of normal-sized meals.

Is this a new arrival? If so it absolutely must be quarantined well away from your other snakes in case the regurge was due to a highly contagious illness like crypto rather than from stress or a husbandry issue like lack of heat.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
Aameadowss
Thank you for that info! This is my only snake at the moment. I'll do what you said and see how it goes!

Old 12-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
snowgyre
Melinda gave you excellent information. I agree with what she advises. Regurgitations are no joke, they tend to damage the digestion of the snake for quite a while, which is why the time frame for feedings Melinda suggested is correct. Some snakes never quite recover. I have a ghost pied male who regurgitated three times on me as a youngster and he's never quite been the same. Take it slow, the important thing is to give the snake's gut flora time to recover, which takes longer than in a mammal due to slower metabolism.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:02 PM   #5
Aameadowss
Ok that makes a lot of sense. I can tell shes hungry so I feel bad holding out on her but I definitely want her to heal and be okay to eat again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
puke, regurgitated mouse, undigested mouse, vomit