This is what a TRAIN did to my car... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
Aprylla
This is what a TRAIN did to my car...

I wanted to share this with everyone. I have had some bad luck in the last year (a Hurricane called Katrina being the first and foremost). Although this wreck was some bad luck, I consider it good luck (among other things) that I am here and alive and able to talk about it. To everyone: PLEASE be careful at the more dangerous train crossings in your area.

Last Thursday, I was driving my 86 Buick Hearse (yes, for those who don't know I do own and drive a hearse as my own personal car) home from the store. I was entering my subdivision and about to cross the train tracks (keep in ming there tracks only have a yield sign with no lights or crossing arms and only a few feet of visability in either direction due to a forest of trees). I slowed to look/listen for a train. I couldn't see one in my limited view, and I didn't hear a train horn with windows down and no radio on (I can normally hear all the way at my house a 1/2 mile away when it is blowing at this intersection). I started to accelerate proceed across the tracks. Just as the nose of my car was ON the tracks I heard the horn blow. I looked out my passenger side window and saw the train was going fast and very close. I knew in that moment if he hit my passenger side I was going to be in serious shape. So I stomped the gas as hard as I could. Within about a second I felt the impact of the train. My car went airborne for about 20-25 feet, it "landed" and had gone 180 degrees...I was facing the railroad track again from the other side of the road.

I was seen by the EMT's on the scene but refused to go to the hospital because I had heard the police talking about "hauling my car off". I knew I was right there at my house, so I wanted my car to go to my house. I ended up having the wrecker driver just load it and bring it 1/2 mile to my house. I did go to the hospital within a few hours since I was having some issues. I am ok as far as I know now. Just bruised a little and in a bit of pain (nothing bad enough to take pain meds though).

I really think that the fact that I was in this type of car saved my life. If I had been in any other type of car and hit like I was, I do not think I would have come out of it like this.

I have taken tons of photos and talked to a lawyer already.

The damage to my coach is extensive. My father and my fiancee are working on cutting away the damaged parts. Although everyone seems to be advising me against it, I am going to restore it to it's original excellent condition. I will be posting a message in the classifieds soon looking for lots of parts.

Here is a photo of it taken within a few minutes after the wreck.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:47 PM   #2
Rebel Dragons
Damn.......................... I'm glad your alright and walked away from that without any serious injuries. God was smiling down on you.

Keep us updated on what happens with the lawsuit. I would suspect you have quite a strong case.

Good luck,

Old 10-21-2006, 11:19 PM   #3
Clay Davenport
Glad you're OK. You are fortunate indeed. It's not often that someone walks away from an encounter with a moving train. The good Lord was watching over you for sure.

However, if you'd been driving a normal car you'd have been fine. The rear end would have cleared the tracks before the train got it haha. That hearse is a BIG ride lol.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:24 PM   #4
Aprylla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
That hearse is a BIG ride lol.
Funny thing is, I have owned several other hearses over the past 12 years or so (all my others were 60's/70's/80's Cadillacs) and this is the *shortest* one I have ever owned, measuring in at 18 feet 6 inches long. All of my Cadillacs were over 22 feet and as long as right at 27 feet. LOL It took me really getting used to this small hearse before I could drive it. This has been my favorite one I have ever owned, which is why I am going to repair it, regardless of the resale value (which is what people seem to keep bringing up to me) ...never going to sell it anyways.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:37 PM   #5
Clay Davenport
You have probably seen the movie Grand Theft Parsons, but being a hearse owner/operator if you haven't you should.
It's a good movie and the hearse the hippe drives is pretty cool.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:39 PM   #6
Aprylla
I have never seen it, but THANKS, I will definitely check it out.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:22 AM   #7
Mokele
Quote:
I really think that the fact that I was in this type of car saved my life. If I had been in any other type of car and hit like I was, I do not think I would have come out of it like this.
I'd like to nominate this for the most ironic observation of the week. Saved by driving a death-mobile.

Henry

Old 10-22-2006, 01:58 AM   #8
varnyard
Aprylla, I too am glad to hear you made it through this. It could have been much worse. Talk about luck, dang you have been through a bunch.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:30 AM   #9
techgirl
Aprylla, I'm very glad that you are fine from that type of accident. Not many people can say they walked away from getting hit by a train. Good luck in restoring the car.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:39 AM   #10
Cat_72
Aprylla,

My BIL was in an accident December of 1995, I believe, where he hit a train...long story short, dark foggy night, train stopped across the road just over a hill, no flares, no lights, nothing. His car was hooked on the train (thank God he was going slower, only about 45 because of the fog), and it pulled backwards and dragged him....pulled back forward and dragged him back forward until his car finally broke off. He laid bleeding, injured, and freezing for several hours (the temps were in single digits), until he managed to catch the eye of a passing car by using his rearview mirror to reflect their headlights at them. He was life-flighted to Mayo Clinic, and almost lost his leg, among other serious injuries, and was hospitalized for 3 months.

Anyway......the simple fact that the train operator neglected to put out flares to warn motorists they were there meant that they were liable for his injuries. The failure of your train operator to sound the horn should be equally as damning.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!