vision Vs Melamine - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
tmartois
vision Vs Melamine

I am in the process of switching over to either melamine or vision. I have found a few vision cages that seem to be a good deal. I would need to put in lights and heat. Also have looked at melamine. I dont care about weight. I will be stacking them 2-3 each for snakes and bearded dragons. My questions are about heating. Which are better???? i know this is subjective but my kids rooms are so hot from all the heat lamps. I will still use those in the vision or melamine but i think i can use lower wattage due to the insulation. Also then it would be cheaper on the electric bill. I know the moistre aspect with melamine as well. My cocern is stackable with heating. How well does vision cages heat up. I am looking at the model 332 36x24x18

Old 09-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
suzuki4life
melamine heats much easier.

I have owned a few vision cages that suffered major burns from heat pads, flex watt and lights. Overall, vision cages are nice to clean but that pretty much is their only benefit.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
RoadHouse of Retics
I think vision is the way to go. Use a lower watt bulb if room temp is already high,also there is a cut out to place the heating lamp so stacking them isn't a problem. Melamine is ok, cheaper and looks nice. Only problem is you will have to reseal them every so often and eventually they will warp.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
suzuki4life
I have used melamine for years. Most are unsealed without issues. Beardeds won't handle humidity that would hurt melamine.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
RoadHouse of Retics
Gary you are right when it comes to bearded dragons. As far as not sealing, well I guess that depends on what kind of snake your putting in it. Something small you could probably get away with the substrate catching the urine. If getting a larger snake it will seep through.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #6
James.w
i have both styles and prefer the visions over the melamine for snakes. What snakes are you keeping? For the bearded dragons, I would go with melamine.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!